Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,261 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | Help! I'm one step away from being able to complete my master cylinder rebuild, but until I know what to do next, it will sit on my workbench.
To be a clear as possible, I'll refer to the terms and part ID numbers as listed in my shop manual, page 6-24, figure 38 "Main Cylinder (Typical)":
How do I install the (#2) push rod boot over the eye of the (#1) piston push rod? Or, does the boot go over the piston push rod flare and the (#4) piston stop plate? Either way, it seems like the hole in the push rod boot is going to tear when it is pushed over the eye or the stop plate. Those components just seem too dang big to fit through the boot hole!
Can the eye portion of the push rod detach from the push rod? I see there is a flat on the rod portion, but I'm scared I'll just torque the heck out of it, and twist it to failure before the eye turns.
I don't have a go-by. The boot was missing when I took the cylinder off of the frame.
As always, help is appreciated.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You need to take the clevis off anyhow so you can clean the threads on the adjustment rod. There is a hex lock nut. Back it off holding the clevis. Then unscrew the clevis holding the rod with vise or pliers. Clean all the threads. Put the boot on & the clevis.Put a little silicone grease on the small end of the boot. After you get it all mounted back adjust the rod so you have a small amount of freeplay when you pull down on the pedal till it starts moveing the master cyl. Then tighten the lock nut. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | Thanks! I didn't see that the clevice was threaded onto the rod. Mine is on there really tight. I'll keep hitting it with PB Blaster and heat to hopefully loosen it up. I'm worried that it is locked tight and any torquing is going to twist it to failure.
Mine doesn't have a lock nut anywhere on it. I'll check fig. 38 for reference.
Thanks for the input. It helps a lot.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Bill, that piece does NOT come apart, the boot will go over the eye .... the clevis and adjustment is beyond the MC, outside the boot [offset shouldered bolt to pedal arm] .... not sure what manual you have, but section 6 should be engine stuff, section 5 is always brakes, MC is shown in Fig 6, page 5-5 and Fig 40, page 5-27 in my manual  Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | Bill, thank you so much for the information. I can't tell you what a relief it is to read your take on it. Try as I might, I couldn't get that eye off. No wonder!
I'll use some strong persuasion to get the boot over the eye. Once that is done, I'm feeling pretty good about getting the MC back together.
Don't know what the deal is with the manual. It could be a source of confusion!
I'll follow-up with my boot installation results and what info I can find on my manual for reference sake. Sure am glad I didn't go hog-wild with a big wrench on that eye! Thanks again for your wisdom.
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Sorry. My mind was on a different model. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | It is all put back together! I put some white grease through the hole and turned it inside out, then stretched it over the eye. Actually, I had a harder time stretching over the cylinder OD than pushing the eye through it. But it is all back together and seems to extend/retract as it did before, only tighter. Thanks again for the info. I forgot to get the shop manual info, but I did notice that mine is DEFINITELY section 6.  Now to finish the re-installation. Bill | | |
| |