The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (crenwelge, JW51, Lostbuthaulinass, Hugh63c10, Gray_Ghost, 1955 1 Series, greenie-reddy), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,237
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#420676 06/07/2008 3:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
does anybody have an estimate on what kind of gas mileage my 72 GMC 7500 6X6 wrecker would get pulling a 28 foot semi trailer. it has the 401M 10 speed overdrive transmission and 7.10 axle ratio. also has a edlbrock 600 cfm carb.

Last edited by 47chevy6400; 06/07/2008 3:33 AM.
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
I believe my '62 GMC 6500 with a 478 V-6 got about 7 or 8. The overdrive you have will help, but if you can get 8 that would be pretty good in my opinion.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I think 7 or 8 is wishful thinking. 5 is more realistic. If the 28 footer is a dry box 13'6" high expect about 4. Those old gas burners weren't very fuel efficient. I ran them until the late 60's. I run all diesels now.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
yep it's a dry box

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
3.5 - 4 is what I'd expect. That's what an old glass truck I once had got with a 427.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
A thought for ya, I had a '65 3/4-ton with a 327, TH350, & 5.30ish gears out back. When I got it the intake was all stock for that motor and it got horrible milage, somewhere around 5 or so. However, I broke down and bought a 650CFM 2-bbl Holley Pro-Jection TBI system and a Edelbrock performer intake. Between that, shorty headers with dual turbo mufflers & a swapped in HEI ignition, I went up to approx 10-15 MPG and could tweak it to run cleaner than a new car, plus had the ability to adjust on the fly (I mounted the brain in the glove-box. Before she died on me (head gasket leak, siezed piston, busted rod, oh darn,...) I was pulling a trailer and fully loaded bed and there was no real difference in fuel consumption.
I cant say what sort of performance gain YOU would get, but it's a thought.

I know it's heresy, puttin something so new fangled & confusing to work on on an old bolt, but then I'm one to be controversial. :P
However, if you're lookin to get the most bang for your buck,... It's an idea anyway.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 207
i haven't seen any intake manifolds for the V6 but i do have rebuilt 427 tall deck that i could put in and run fuel injection with


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0