The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 51sub, D B Cooper), 170 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,097
Posts1,056,163
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41841 11/10/2001 4:42 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 46
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 46
OK...First the story: picked up a 1965 GMC 1/2T with the original 305E, original carb and air cleaner, 4 speed manual, original GMC AM radio, and faded with a little surface rust but original paint. I moved it from Sacramento, Ca to Reno, Nevada. Reno is about 4500 AMSL and Sac-town is about 100 AMSL. After replacing the starter and getting a new battery, she fired right up!!! Put the plates on 'er and went into town. Truck ran great down the freeway but upon exiting it died on the on ramp. It kept on dying on me and running rough at idle. I have to pull the choke out a bit to keep it running at idle. I saw the idle speed adjustment, but am wondering if there are other adjustments to make i.e. idle mixture and what is the proper procedure. I'm getting little backfires outa the exhaust, and it smells like it's running too rich.

Any reply is greatly appreciated. This is my first GMC and I'm enjoying it so far.

Scott :confused: :confused:


Scott

1964 GMC 1002 Long Wideside w/305E V6 & sm420 "Blue Jeans"
1996 Harley Davidson FLHTCI
1981 Husky 250CR
http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc1002hf5669a
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
I've made the same trip up to Reno and back and know what your talking about.

With the engine running and at idle turn the mixture screw in until the idle slows down and then back out until you get the best idle speed.

You probably want to check the fuel filter and also check your points because I think that's where your popping is coming from.


Joe
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 46
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 46
Thanks for the reply Joe. Now the newbie question: Where is the idle mixture adjustment??

:rolleyes:


Scott

1964 GMC 1002 Long Wideside w/305E V6 & sm420 "Blue Jeans"
1996 Harley Davidson FLHTCI
1981 Husky 250CR
http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc1002hf5669a
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 140
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 140
what kind of carburator are you running on it? if your facing the engine, the mixture screw will be on the left side on a carter, same for the rochester M carb, on the backside of the carb for a rochester 2G carb, and if its a Bendix stromburg, they will be on the front of the carb.

In order to adjust the mixture on your carb, it probably a good idea that you check a few things. This depends on your carburator.you have to make sure the timing is correct, check vaccum, RPM and other things in order to set the mixture. I would find a Chilton manual on trucks from 1961 to 71. I have this book, and it tells you the procedures for adjusting the carbs on all V6 GMC engines.

I hope I didnt confuse you with all this carb stuff, but I hope this helps anyway. some one else can probably help you out more with Mixture and stuff, so make sure you read up on procedures and stuff before adjusting your carb. smile

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: gmcfan ]


Jonathan S. Keffer

Certified Yeti Trainer

Richard Roy Schlicht-
Good Grandfather, Veteran Wrench Turner...

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is..."

Es gibt nichts, zu befürchten, aber befürchtet sich.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 46
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 46
Thanks for the help. Carb turns out to be a Stromberg (idle mixture screws on front part of carb). Checked the timing, checked for vacume leaks, and then set the idle mixtures. Truck runs great!!! Starts right up!! Now all I hafta do is the brakes and drivers side glass and I'm in "tall cotton"!! Thanks again grin


Scott

1964 GMC 1002 Long Wideside w/305E V6 & sm420 "Blue Jeans"
1996 Harley Davidson FLHTCI
1981 Husky 250CR
http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc1002hf5669a

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0