The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41649 08/14/2004 11:02 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
I am planning on swapping a 80's Blazer rear axle into my 52. Have everything figured out except the parking brake cables. Can't use the old cables as the backing plates are different.

The new cables that are on the Blazer axle are too long and do not have the threaded ends on them like the old style.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

#41650 08/14/2004 11:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
This is what I did 8 years ago when I put an 80 Blazer axle in my 51 crude,but has worked with no problems. I cut off the cable ends,pulled the cable back out of the sheath,then cut the sheath to length.Pushed the cable back in and used a cable hardware store cable clamp to attach the Blazer cable to the original cable adjuster.
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-1/95040/EQUUE-brake.jpg[/img]

#41651 08/15/2004 5:42 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 94
I'm planning on doing the same rear-end swap, but I'm confused about transmissions.

Are you keeping the stock SM420 and going to an open driveline? Or, are you putting in an entirely different setup?

It's my understanding that if you change transmissions, then you lose your foot start, which I don't necessarily want to lose.

#41652 08/15/2004 6:04 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
Truckedup: Good idea, I am going to consider that as a solution.

53therapy: I had already changed to an open driveline. I found a transmission (SM420)out of an 55 1st series and a differential out of the same truck. I took the center section out of the 55 and put it into the 52 housing. I welded the pivot points solid on the housing and had a driveshaft made. That gave me an open driveline but only 3:90 gears. I want something with higher gears and the Blazer differential is a 3:08.

Has anyone else found a good solution to the parking brake cable issue?

#41653 08/15/2004 11:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
I had planned to drill the center of the old adjuster or a new length of threaded rod about a 1/4 inch, insert the cable and silver braze it for a better finished look.

#41654 08/15/2004 1:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
Did the same swap on my 51 ,3100. this past march.used a ten bolt rear out of a mid eighties blazer 4x4, six lug,the rear is a perfect width.Also used a saginaw 4spd, with patricks shifter . About the parking brake, I used the complete assembly from the blazer,including cables.everything works great, Also with the new rear and trans the truck is a lot more fun to drive,and I did retain the foot starter.other mods on my truck are duel master cyl ,larger dia tie rod and modern tie rod ends, 1954 235 eng, and 12 volts. old navy 51 from new jersey.........

#41655 08/15/2004 11:05 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
Old Navy 51, you said you used the parking brake assembly from the Blazer and it all worked perfectly. What did you do to make it work? The cables I have are very different from the stock ones.

#41656 08/16/2004 9:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
I used the foot pedel assembly ,cables from the blazer . You will have to do some minor fabracting to mount the foot pedel assembly to the kick panel. You should look under the blazer and note how the cables are run and location of the brackets then do the same on your truck.if this don't work out I can take a few pictures and e-mail to you. old navy......................


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0