| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,154 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 45 | I hate it when I assume stuff.
I swapped a 261 into our '49 2 ton. I was told that it was a straight in swap for the 216 that came out..
I ordered an alternator bracket from American Classic Truck Parts and it does not fit. The 261 block has a 3 bolt pattern on the block, one of the bolt bosses is raised, making it necessary to shim under the bracket to make it fit. Even then, with it shimmed, the bracket holds the alternator too far to the front and the pullys do not align.
Any thoughts from you experts out there? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Do you need this 55-62 bracket; and, is this the bracket you got? Both of the above brackets are for high-pressure 235s. I do not know if a 216 bracket would work on 261 (maybe someone else knows). | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 45 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 45 | Yep, you nailed it. I'll call them and RMA. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I just used the generator bracket and made some spacers out of tubing on my 261. The front mount bosses differ from year to year on the block, as I'm sure you noticed. The one from the 235 of the same year is what you need.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 582 | I used the 55-62 bracket shown above but still had to elongate the holes end to end somewhat to get the pulleys to line up correctly on my 261. | | |
| |
| |