Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,152 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#41200 03/13/2002 4:33 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 15 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 15 | In the process of overhauling my carb, I decided to clean up the oil bath air cleaner, too. After sloshing it around in cleaning solvent like the manual said, I noticed that metal fibers were breaking off from the filter mesh. Question: does anyone know of a source of new metal fiber filter mesh for an oil bath cleaner? I'm not even sure there is a way to install it since the housing seems to be sealed. I would appreciate any ideas. | | |
#41201 03/13/2002 5:29 PM | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 234 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 234 | I don't know the answer to your specific question - but for my Willys CJ-2A I've been thinking of picking up a K&N filter which is close in size and fitting it inside the oil bath cannister somehow. Technically the K&N is an oil bath filter, just without the "bath" part! -Boyo
'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
| | |
#41202 03/13/2002 11:29 PM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I used a coupla stranded metal pot scrubber thingies (not steel wool, but more like little shiney miniature ribbons all bundled together) I saw at the Fred Meyer store and fed / poked em in through the holes in the bottom after pulling all the mesh out that was falling apart. | | |
#41203 03/14/2002 2:32 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 8 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 8 | This may seem like a stupid question but, what are the possibilities of the oil in the cleaner leaking out on the manifold and catching fire? Especially on rough roads and such? | | |
#41204 03/14/2002 3:36 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 15 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 15 | Ken, I like your idea. Seems simple enough and it should be effective since the oil (and not the metal fiber) is supposed to capture the dirt, bugs, etc. Thks. | | |
#41205 03/14/2002 4:41 AM | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | a-just-r little to none, as long as ya don't way overfill the thing [there's a fill line] and keep the truck right side up  the oil bath has always been the best way, just messy so got dropped eventually. Bill | | |
#41206 03/14/2002 5:22 AM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 734 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 734 | Burning oil aint the problem, it's the gasoline in the leaky carburetor! I've seen it drip onto the hot manifold and sizzle. It's a wonder all these old trucks haven't burned to the ground a long time ago.
Matthew 6:33 1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com | | |
#41207 03/14/2002 11:38 PM | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 16 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 16 | I'm in the process of trying to fit a K&N into my air cleaner. Definitely the best way to go. You get all the benefit of an oil bath plus you get better flow (more flow=more go) plus you get to keep stock appearance. But then I'm a big fan of the sleeper route. Shouldn't take much, air in on one side, out on the other. And if ya screw it up, the things are a dime a dozen, unless you are ebay dependent, then they are $450. You need a sympathetic parts guy who is willing to help you find the K&N with the dimensions you need in his catalogue. Stay away from the store that isn't interested.
Ryan | | |
#41208 03/15/2002 6:24 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Be warned that K&N's don't filter out small particles very well, even worse than a paper element.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#41209 03/15/2002 4:09 PM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | I had the heavy-duty deeper oil bath on my '48 so I found a deep Fram for it. I wanted to save the oil mesh top for later so I found something else to cover the Fram. It's shown here: http://www.geocities.com/chevtruck48/flatbed.html 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | |
#41210 03/16/2002 10:14 AM | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 140 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 140 | does anybody know if the 305 V6 that GMC made in the 60's had oil bath air filters, or were they the dry paper type. I dont have the origional air filter housing, I am using a chevy nova housing right now, and I am looking for one for my engine.
Jonathan S. Keffer
Certified Yeti Trainer
Richard Roy Schlicht- Good Grandfather, Veteran Wrench Turner...
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is..."
Es gibt nichts, zu befürchten, aber befürchtet sich.
| | |
#41211 03/17/2002 3:18 AM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | My 54 2-ton now has removed element and replaced with paper stock Phord unit that fit dimensions of inside of canister. The H*** with oil mess and all, just replace when dirty. Just make sure it seals at all the top and bottom spots and no "free" air gets by it. Took my canister into store all cleaned up and guy let me go thru the wall of filters and try some in it.
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | |
#41212 03/18/2002 5:17 AM | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 16 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 16 | As Josiah says, K&N's do not do a great job on the small particles. If you live in a very dusty environment or drive a dirt roads a lot, may not be the best solution. If you are a city dweller or spent most of your time on pavement, small particles won't pose much of a problem, unless you are putting serious miles on that engine every year. cheers,
Ryan | | |
| |