The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
I was looking at my 1970 c50 dump today, I went to move the drive shaft by hand ( truck in neutral ) and I noticed that the rear differential has a TON! of backlash. I know that this is a old truck with a ton of miles, but if this was in a car it would be junk. The pinion turns about 3/4 to a inch before it hits the ring gear. That's what it feels like. How much is normal? I don't have much experiance with the big stuff, this is my first. I am only planning to use this truck for local runs 15 to 20 mile radious, but if this thing needs a rear end I cannot afford it. and I don't want to keep spending money on it. I have not driven it on the road yet, ( not registered ) seems ok on my short back road. This is a single speed rear, NOT a 2 speed. hoping you guys will say it is just old and should be ok for the limited use I 'll give it.


1970 C50 dump! saving orphans from the CRUSHER
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Give it a try, if it is quiet and performs OK, then use it, you won't be far from home if it fails.

I have noticed what seems like lots of backlash on a number of differentials when just turning the driveshaft, and they have worked fine, so perhaps this is not an accurate way of diagnosing excessive backlash?

By just grabbing the driveshaft you would also be taking up the slack in the spider gears, axle shafts in the side gears, and the axle shafts in the hubs, this may all add up to feel like a lot, and the pinion portion of it may be small and OK?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
the only way to correctly measure backlash is by taking the diff cover off or third member out and setting up a dial indicator and measureing it cause like grigg said when you turn the driveshaft your are also talking up the play in the pinion/side gears, which can make backlash seem excessive
Nate


Link to my photobucket for pics of my vehicles
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/OldIronChevy/
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by OldIronChevy
the only way to correctly measure backlash is by taking the diff cover off or third member out and setting up a dial indicator and measureing it cause like grigg said when you turn the driveshaft your are also talking up the play in the pinion/side gears, which can make backlash seem excessive
Nate
Yes, I know that this is correct way to check, but I am not looking to take this apart, I am hoping it's like Grigg said. I am going to take out the fill plug in the rear and with a small light try to see if that is what is happening, and it's not ALL play between the ring and pinion.


1970 C50 dump! saving orphans from the CRUSHER
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
While you have that fill plug out you might stick a large screwdriver in there and lever it against the ring with one hand and reach under and try turning the yoke then.
Like these other folks have stated, there's a lot of other places for play to add up ut still be fine. My old beast has a load of play in it, yet wear on the mating surfaces on the ring & pinion are within limits.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
not much happens to a single speed rear except making noise. If it isn't making any grinding noises, drive it. If it sings a little, so what. 50 years ago when lube wasn't very good, just about all truck rears whined.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
They don't have to be a big bolt to have lots of back lash and that doesn't mean that it is bad. I wouldn't worry about it at all.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0