The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Maybellene, tclederman, RoadsScholar, DadsFirstPickup, baldeagle, MickeyP, Stovebolt48, 1 invisible), 198 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40963 09/17/2002 4:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Well after spending most of the summer working on the honey do list I have found some time to work on my 49. Tried to get her running ( Had her running last summer). I have Spark and gas. I am thinking that the carb is gummed up by the gas that has been sitting in there since last summer. Here is what is happening. Crank over the truck and she fires right off but wont stay running. I can extend her running by pumping the accelerator pedal but she will eventually cut out.

Here is my question: Can I carefully disassembel the main body and spray with carb cleaner and just reassemble? I know I should get a kit and do the whole thing. But I don't have the time to rebuild the carb. Any tips or tricks on cleaning out the carb with out removeing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40964 09/17/2002 4:30 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Do you have the rochester one barrel? If so, yes, you can take the top off while it is mounted in the truck. And, if you're careful, the horn to bowl gasket will remain intact. However, as easy as these carbs are to remove, I find it easier to pull the carb and disassemble it on the workbench, especially if you have to clean varnish out of the bowl, which usually involves soaking in carb cleaner overnight.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#40965 09/17/2002 4:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Brian--

You might try some Berryman's Chem tool. Pour some in, let it soak and see if you can crank it. If you get it running pour or spray some more in. Better approach is Fred T's --pull it off, soak in paint thinner or carb cleaner overnite --new gaskets and carb kit. Not hard. wink


Buzz'n Half Dozen
#40966 09/17/2002 7:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Very simple to rebuild, I can almost rebuild one of those carbs with my eyes tied behind my back eek ,,,,,,I mean my eyes closed grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#40967 09/17/2002 7:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Thanks guys for your replies. I realise that it is indeed a simple rebuild. I am, however, looking for the 15 minute fix here.

Ok so this bring up another question. If this did happen because of fuel left over in the carb. How do you elimenant this from happening every year?

Thanks again


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40968 09/17/2002 7:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
When it runs for a few seconds and then dies, can you pull the top off the carb and see it it has run out of fuel?
How many times will it start and run?


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#40969 09/17/2002 8:07 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
well I only did this less then a dozen times. Didn't want to burn up the starter.

Brian


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40970 09/17/2002 9:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 59
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 59
If it's going to sit around without being run for several months, then put some fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil in the tank and let it run a while to circulate. I've used sta-bil for years in my small engines and it works great.


72 Sierra Grande - Maych

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
#40971 09/17/2002 9:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.Have you checked the top of the fuel pump for a build-up of crud?
Does it run with the choke on?


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#40972 09/17/2002 9:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Brian,
just a little more detail for you. If you are trying to save the existing gasket, you should be aware that it attched to the top airhorn assembly. Thus as you lift the top half off, make sure that the gasket stays with the top and separates from the bottom. I had mine break the other day when I was doing the same thing and I had to use up my new gsaket from my kit.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#40973 09/17/2002 10:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
fuel pump was new last summer


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40974 09/18/2002 4:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 279
Brian, just checking to make sure you've already made certain that you have fuel getting from the tank to the fuel pump. I had a similar problem about 2 years ago. I'd get it to turn over and then she'd die. Did this several times. Finally pulled the fuel line off of the fuel pump between the pump and the tank. It was so clogged that I couldn't get any gas through it at all. Ended up pulling the fuel line and running carb cleaner through it. After about an hour the varnish and sludge broke loose and cleaned it right out. No problem starting after that. There was enough gas in the fuel pump and the carb to let me start it a few times, but that was it. Just a thought if you haven't by chance checked the line. Good luck!

#40975 09/18/2002 11:06 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
This may help. smile I just got my truck running after it had sat all winter and most of the summer. My fuel had started to turn into something other than gas. frown I put in 4 gallons of fresh gas, then using the fuel pump,(and a battery charger) grin I pumped out old fuel in lines. There's probaly a better way to do that, but my way worked. :p She still wouldn't start so I went to pull off glass fuel filter and discovered, a lot of pressurized gas between filter and carb. After I cleaned out the inlet of the carb, she fired up and purred like a well fed cat. wink


If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.


1941 Pontiac business coupe
1947 Chev Coupe
1969 GTO ragtop
#40976 09/18/2002 1:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Well Thanks to everyone that has posted. I probably wont get to work on my truck until this weekend. I will keep you all posted as to what or if I find anything.

Thanks


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40977 09/23/2002 7:28 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
When you pull the airhorn remove the float and check for holes. Mine had a tiny hole in it and caused flooding after the rubber needle was unstuck and fuel was allowed to flow.
I used a aluminum pie pan with water to float the twin float assy, after cleaning the carb and checking (about 30 minutes) one side had sank to bottom of pan. It is a brass float and EASY to dry before reassy assuming it floated. NAPA ordered float assy about $12.
Good Luck
Brad

#40978 09/23/2002 1:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Well due to too much rain and previous family comitments I wasn't able to get to the carb this past weekend. So it has been penciled in for this coming weekend. Thanks for all the tips!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40979 09/30/2002 9:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Well the plugs where fouled and I fried the points while trying to work on the Headlights with the ingnition turned on.

Filed the points and dropped some new plugs in and the ol gal fired right up!

Funny note: Couple of weekends ago I had my 5 year old sons helping me. He was sitting right next to me when I was trying to get the truck started and not being succesful. He says to me "Dad I gotta go inside and pee" I say "ok" and don't think anything of it. Later when I go inside my wife is just smiling funny at me. So I asked what did I do now? She comes up to me and says that she asked Tommy how it was going out there? His Reply was "The old gal just isn't getting enough fire Mom and its Real frustrating!"
My wife knows that I have been known to Swear (just once or twice) and that I work really hard not using foul langauge around kids, any kids. She gave me a big hug and said your son is really Cute! Seems I was saying "real frustrating" a lot while working on the truck.

Thanks to everyone and your suggestions!


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
#40980 10/01/2002 6:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Glad its fixed--cute story on the son. smile


Buzz'n Half Dozen
#40981 10/02/2002 3:18 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Good to hear you got the Old FRUSTRATING Gal running again.I assume most of the work was done by your son grin cool


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#40982 10/02/2002 1:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Well since he is big enough to stand on the bumper brackets he can "help" me as long as the truck hasn't been run(radiator gets too hot for him to be around). However, he is the best wheel straightner I have ever seen. So each night before I finis working on the ol gal I make sure to turn the wheel a little. I will come home to hear "Dad your wheels are crooked again! We have to work on that - TONITE!"


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0