Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 | (not my skull) I have a 49 Chev 2 ton with a '59 261ci. I took the head off to rebuild it and after a hot tank and sand blast I found a crack that goes from the intake seat across the water jacket into the exhaust seat! Now i have to explore my options of what heads will fit onto this block? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | rippintare,
Aren't these fixable by a good automotive machine shop. I have seen pretty nasty cracks repaired by the drill and plug method.
This would require two new seats in that combustion chamber, but I have had that done several times on cracked heads. Maybe location doesn't make this type of repair feasible.
If the 261 head is specific to that engine, it might be a bearcat to find a good replacement.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 | when i had the machine work done on the 261 of my 55 first series 2 ton they found the head to be cracked, i just had a head from a 235 reworked, drilled the steam holes and she's been uh-haulin ever since. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 | thats good news. I'm not too clear on what the steam holes are and where i would have to drill them? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 | The 51 head will be off a babbit-pounder engine, and I don't think it will fit the 261. The 848 head fits both late-model 235's and 261's, I believe. The "steam holes" are small coolant passages that can be drilled into a 235 head by using a 261 head gasket as a drilling guide, I think. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 | look at the combustion chamber side of the 261 head,there should be a steam hole in between the combustion chambers, roughly an 1/8 inch or so in diameter i think. what i did was i took the new head gasket,it will have these holes already in it, i used it as a template on the 235 head, center punched, then carefully drilled the holes with the proper size drill bit, be carefull not use to much force, wouldnt want to break the bit off in the head. i believe the 235 head i used was from a 1956 engine. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 | according to Patricks Antiques out west its 1954 full pressure 235's or newer. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 128 | also if i remember correctly as this was a few years or so ago..he had also mentioned that the 235 head had a slightly smaller combustion chamber, for a slight increase in compression, and slighty better flowing ports. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 | ok, thanks for the info guys, I now know what i'm looking for and the steam hole issue will be no problem. much appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I hade the same issue with my 261. I used a 235 head and drilled the steam holes. I have pictures i you need them or want to look thru my webshot album. It will work and I remember the new head cost me about $120. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 | I got a buddy who has a head out of a '54 Bel air he will give me. Will this one out of a car be the same? Just to clarify. The steam holes are the 2 small ones between the 1st and 2nd cyl, 3rd and 4th and 5th and 6th cylinders?
Last edited by rippintare; 05/03/2008 3:15 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 28 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I don't know about the car but you can check the numbers to make sure it will work or not. Yes the small steam holes are just as you have written. You can see them in my picture link above. | | |
| |