Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,325 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#40476 09/23/2004 5:24 PM | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 74 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 74 | With my truck, the rearend is the base-gearing at 3.73:1. As this truck is going to be used as a show truck, and will be seeing quite a bit of highway use, I'd like to be able to drive it on the highway without buzzing it at 3,000 RPM at 60. I know that this 250 doesn't have a lot of power, but I'd like to go with 3.23's or 3.08's in the hopes that it'll be able to cruise at 65-70 on the interstate going to shows and just driving around. Also, I'm poor. Is there a car/truck in the junkyard that I can pick up the gears from? A direct bolt-in rearend would be even better. It's got a 10 bolt with drum brakes, and an open diff. Limited might be nice, but it's not going to see any snow, or even work aside from maybe some towing, so it's not necessary.
I am not bound to please thee with my answers. - William Shakespeare 1967 C10 1983 Olds Delta 88
| | |
#40477 09/23/2004 6:29 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I had a '70 Blazer with 3.08 gears. It would have been leaf springs, but otherwise should fit right under your truck. It should not be impossible to find one in a salvage yard somewhere.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#40478 09/23/2004 7:38 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I have an axle out of a '66 C-10 with aftermarket 3.07 gears in it, so I know it can be done. Sorry it's not for sale, though.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#40479 09/23/2004 8:19 PM | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 74 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 74 | I know it can be done, and I know that it was availible from the factory in coil-sprung form from 67-72, but I don't know what years, what engines, what transmissions, what body styles, etc it was availible in...
I am not bound to please thee with my answers. - William Shakespeare 1967 C10 1983 Olds Delta 88
| | |
#40480 09/23/2004 8:45 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Originally posted by Matt McD: I don't know what years, what engines, what transmissions, what body styles, etc it was availible in... I don't either. My leaf-spring Blazer was a 350 with a 4-speed and had a 2-speed transfer case. I'd guess a 3.08 was common in those, but not an easy swap. My coil sprung '72 C-10 is a 350/350 turbo with 3.5-something gears. I can't help you beyong that...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#40481 09/23/2004 11:04 PM | Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2001 Posts: 384 | Matt-- I had a 1971 C-10 with 3.08 rear gear 3 on the tree sag and a 250 stock from the factory--would go down the hiway at 75-80 all day long. Prolly find what u need at the pick n' pull. 
Buzz'n Half Dozen
| | |
#40482 09/24/2004 12:39 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | matt go to randysringandpinion.com the site has a calculator and you can play around with tire sizes and ring and pinions on the different calculators there. its fun and very informative. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | |
| |