Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,128 Posts1,056,664 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Anybody ever make their own Flexible Spring Steel Weather Strap that covers the brushes on a 6V starter? If so, how'd you do it? I suppose my best bet is to find a used starter with a good strap.Any ideas?
Last edited by DrewP; 04/18/2008 2:56 PM.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Drew,
There are probably dozens of ways to do this. The first thing that hits my pea brain would be a small length of Signode steel strapping with a worm drive hose clamp around it.
I guess it all depends on what you wanted as a end result...show or go!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I have thought about this myself. I will be watching this one! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | yes thin metal with big hose clamp over it mayby with gasket matereal under it | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | The metal/gasket/worm clamp idea may just work. I know heating and building supply stores sell large stainless steel clamps for flexible duct work.I'll check this weekend to see if a piece of aluminum/steel heating duct & clamp will work.Thanks for the idea.
Last edited by DrewP; 04/18/2008 8:45 PM.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | maybe one of those universal oil filter 'wrenches' that's a metal band with a handle might fit, just rig it so there's a way to bolt the ends together in place of the tightening handle ... not sure why you'd need a gasket, they originals didn't have that
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 | If you want a really good fit, do as Red says. That should be just the right size, and a few nuts and bolts and some washers and you should be in hog heaven. May even look like it belonged there. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Chevs of the 40's, Starter Band, #817114, $6.00 ea.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 |  Ha Ha Ha ! Thanks Denny. Sometimes my laziness to search gets the best of me. But,thanks anyway to everyone for the good ideas. 
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 327 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 327 | Whats a "Flexible Spring Steel Weather Strap" I'm clueless here... Peter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Peter - the metal band that was originally found over the brush openings on our generators and starters ... frequently discarded long ago
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 186 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 186 | I just purchased one from the Filling Station and it doesn't close down tight leaving a gap for water and dirt. Does anyone know if the one from Chevys of the fourtys fit tight? I am really getting tired of buying parts that don't fit and aren't a quality part.
Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | Depends on how much you care about looks. I have wrapped duct tape and then put the metal band over it. It works, but the pickup looks like Jeff Foxworthy might own it. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon | | Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 | Crenwelge, I thought you were Jeff Foxworthy!
Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up. I highly recommend spending the 6 bucks as suggested by Denny Graham. The weather-strip spring band is VERY important. Dirt and grime are the worst things to put in a motor or generator. That stuff wears the bearings, armature, brushes and will cause the insulation on the wires (yes, some of the wires are insulated) to break down. Any one of these things can result in the ultimate failure of the electrical device when the smoke installed during the manufacturing process to escape.
Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!
1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy "Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 | Yes the originals had a gasket. That's probably why the replacement band is fitting loosely. Most FLAPS worthy of the name have gasket paper on rolls in about 3 different thicknesses. Use whichever one takes up the gap best. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Boy you’re jogging my memory Jerry. I do believe I've seen a paper gasket in some also, but its been a long, long time. I haven't seen any of the GM AD's with a gasket, is it called out in the parts books? I'll have to look that one up when I get a spare moment.
Craig, I don't see either band in The Filling Station catalog, but once again, Chevs of the 40's, starter band 817114 $6.00, and here's the generator band 816340 $10.50 The circumference of the starter and generator are different by about a 1/4" to 3/8". I'm just wondering if the band that you got that fits loose might be a generator band instead of a starter band.
I have a spare starter and generator that both need bands. Just to avoid having to spend $25 or $30 on something that might not fit and probably won't look original, I'm gonna make my own. I have the bent up rusted originals for patterns to take the measurements from. I just yesterday, received four thickness of Blue Spring Steel from McMaster I also ordered the proper rivets so they will look authentic. I will be doing some experiments on the 3/16" end roll after I anneal the bands to see if I can form the roll properly. The end roll and clip will be annealed and reheat-treated after the forming is finished.
For those that care about those little details I’ll post some pics of the process if I’m successful.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I'm not sure gasket paper has a part number. We just walk in the parts house and they ask what thickness. We keep various thicknesses in our shop all the times, And yes, I clearly remember starters in the 50's had gaskets. We made them back then and now I've gotten lazy and use duct tape. It works, but gasket paper looks much more professional.
Last edited by crenwelge; 06/19/2008 4:56 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | When a generator would cook the commutator and throw solder, it coated the inside of the band. There was no gasket. Would they put a gasket on the starter band but not on the generator band?
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | I have never seen paper/gasket on the inside of the bands of a starter or generator; however, my experience is limited to only about 30 different GMC and Chevrolet used starters & generators.
I have also had 48-55 starters and generators rebuilt by professional re-builders over many years (starter and generator specialists) and they never put paper/gasket under those bands.
This does not mean that the paper was not there originally but the paper/gasket did not seem to be needed (the bands produced a very tight closure without paper/gasket).
Tim | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I have sealed starters on pickups and farm tractors since the 50's because that's what the old timers did. On the dirt roads of the day they were subjected to a lot of dust. I recently rebuilt a starter on a 1950 John Deere with a Delco starter that had a gasket. Was it original? I don't know. I just reused it. Had it not had a gasket, I would have used duct tape. We buy 42MT starters for our over the road tractors factory rebuilt. I have never looked at them. Generators had fans for air flow any way. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Well duct tape or not some of us are concerned with originality and I don't think any of the GM starters ever had a gasket behind the band. And I would have to agree with ya Tim, the band fits tight enough that you taint gonna get anything in there unless you drive it through a two foot deep puddle. That said, once again, when I worked the parts counter at an auto parts store back in the early 60's I do remember seeing bands come off that had a paper gasket under them. What they were from I have no idea. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |