The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phak1, Wally / Montana), 70 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,447
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40157 05/23/2002 9:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 31
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 31
My 3/4 ton Chevy has a set of fixed springs mounted on top of the standard bottom set. In my factory manual, I see these were installed only on heavier models, not on the 3/4 ton. What's the story? I also removed the two chassis brackets that contact the upper fixed springs when they are compressed, but I can't figure out where they go now that I've blasted the frame. Anyone with pix out there of this setup? Thanks!

#40158 05/23/2002 9:44 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I have a set of those on my half ton, but they contact the frame directly when there is more than 500 lbs in the bed, so I don't know where your brackets go, but I bet if you put a 500 lb load in the bed and put the brackets wherever the ends of the springs are near the frame that is good enough.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#40159 05/23/2002 11:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 31
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 31
OK, thanks! Just wanted to know what I was doing......

#40160 05/24/2002 3:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those extra springs are called overloads. When the load carrying capicity of the truck is met [ more than 500 lbs.] the overloads kick in. In some states the cops will stop you if the overloads are riding on the stops.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0