The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Cletus1950, WICruiser), 103 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40089 01/08/2005 11:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Okay, I pulled the motor out of my 46 half-ton this afternoon. I pulled it from the bell-housing forward, leaving the 4-speed tranny in place. My question; When I pulled the inner/lower bolts between the bell-housing and the tranny, gear lube began running out.

It seems to be about a half a pint or so.

Is this normal? This is my first experience separating the trans. from the motor. I would have thought there would be some type of seal that would retain the fluid in the transmission.

How much %wise did I lose, and do I need to do anything after I put the new motor in, that is besides the obvious topping off the gear lube?

#40090 01/09/2005 12:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
Gear oil ran out of the bolt hole? Yup, the threaded holes are open into the case. I think it's best drain out the old oil and clean out the threaded holes with spray brake cleaner.Use the white teflon sealer in a tube to coat the bolt threads on reassembly.One less place for oil to leak.Pull the front retainer on the tranny input shaft,no seal but you can put sealer on those bolt holes and on the gasket that should stuck on the case.While you're at it,do the pto side cover too,make your own gasket if necessary or use a RTV sealer.Gone this far,back off the nut on the rear yoke............


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0