The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (WICruiser, Peggy M, 55shaker, Hotrod Lincoln, Steelonsteel, TS3600, GRNHydra), 124 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,470
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40082 04/14/2004 2:44 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 141
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 141
can someone please explain these things to me.I apparently have one on my 235.I asked about remote filters and was informed on my ?.If I use a remote filter do I need to get rid of the by-pass filter and if so how may I ask do I do that?
thanks :confused:

#40083 04/14/2004 3:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Freydaddy,

A "remote" filter is what all the old engines had until the spin on metal with a cartridge insert and then the full spin on filter. I just read your other post...someone removed your remote filter and plugged the holes where the lines went.

A bypass is the oiling system the pre 54 bolts had...25% of the oil was bypassed into the filter for cleaning/filtering but all the oil did not go through the filter.

Some say you can get rid of the filter on the pre-53 but it is not advised since any filtering is a good thing.

If you keep the filter, it must be "remote" as you can't equip it with a spin-on.

I am not sure if I am answering the right question, but filters are available for all older remote filter systems. So are the hoses. Search oil filter or oil filters and you should get a bunch of info on this topic.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0