The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Swami29, Gdads51, joe apple, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,637
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#399674 04/08/2008 9:58 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
What is the best lubricant for my 4 speed manual?

Thanks.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
90 weight gear oil, but you might want someone else to second that because I don't know very much about this kind of stuff. The 90w is what I was told to use.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I'll second it. Most of it comes in 80/90 weight. Either will work fine.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I'll third it. I'm partial to the Lucas full synthetic myself.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 112
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 112
The new process transmissions used ATF to help mileage, dealer mechanics put 30wt compressor oil (non detergent) in them at service. I used 50wt racing (non det) in some, worked good.
use multigrade, 70-140 or 70-90 so it is as thin as possible for milage, if you trans whines like mine does, a little lucas will keep the oil climbing the gears and dampen the noise. Lucas oil stabilizer rocks for old trucks.


64 & 66 GMC long fleetside 4x4
Cartwright, OK
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I remember my T-5 in my Mustang called for ATF so I wasn't sure. I have some 80/90 gear oil I will use.
How does the Lucas oil stabilizer help the 80/90?
Just in case, I should say that I am putting the 80/90 in the Transfer case and axles, is that fine for those as well?

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by jomichael; 04/09/2008 4:53 PM.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 63
160w oil is what is recomended in 4speed truck trannys from Chevrolet. The problem is finding it in Canada. Mbile oil carries it but you may have to buy in 5gal pals. It's also known as 600w steam or cylinder oil. Never use a detergent oil in an old tranny. Especially if a 4 speed non-synchro. This information is from the original Chevrolet service manual.


Keith and Kim
1942 Chev 3/4-Ton Flatdeck in the Gallery
Victoria, BC, Canada

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0