The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (2-Ton, cmayna, 1955 1 Series, tclederman), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
Looking for some help...
I have converted my 39 truck to a 12v system. I have a wiring diagram from the company who made the wiring harness, but it doesnt get me to the final alternator solution.
I have an alternator with the internal regulator. Its connections are as follows:
1 large post and 1 small post on the back
1 plug in the back that has a blue and black wire coming from it.
The diagram that I have states:
Large red wire goes to alternator, it comes from the ammeter/light switch
Small red wires goes to the alternator, it comes from the ignition switch auxilary
Green wire = horn wire, why is it down with the alternator
I also have a thin red wire that is unidentified
Someone help??????

Last edited by 1Fine39; 04/01/2008 2:32 AM.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
1Fine39,

I will attempt to confuse you. The large red wire attaches to the BATT lug and powers the battery and entire system through your ammeter. It will attach to the - side with all (most) of the electrical loads.

The little plug is referred to as the DA plug. The alternator case should be embossed with a #1 and a #2. Your small red wire would attached to terminal #1 and would go to a key switched position that is always hot when the truck is running.

The #2 terminal (don't know what color on your rig) can wrap around and tie in with the big BATT lug. This is the voltage sense wire for the internal regulator.

The alternator case has a bolt or screw on it for a auxiliary ground wire. Is this one of the wires in question. It isn't always used.

The wire from #2 CAN be attached somewhere else...anywhere that it can 'see' system voltage. If you have a horn relay, it could be attached at the BATT terminal there...anywhere it can sense voltage.

I sure hope this helps a bit.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 21
Thanks to all of you. Great help as usual. I am close to having this thing done, but like most conversions, some stuff just doesnt fir the book. Now all I have to do is figure out why my gas gauge wont work and why the stop and tail, lights come and go.
Regards
1fine39
David

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0