The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 173
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 173
Hi all,

Any opinions about the Chevy Duramax diesil engine? Is it dependable and what about fuel efficiency?
I'm thinking about buying a new Chevy pickup and I want to compare the Chevy diesil to the
Dodge Cummins diesil.

Thanks, Dean Meltz
[email protected]


Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
Lurch: 1927 1-Ton Chevy Cattle Truck
Old and ugly is beautiful! -- The Saga
Lurch's Gallery
Justin: 1928 Chevrolet AB Canopy Express
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
There's a cool diesel site discussing all the major deisels and has a forum for each. Don't have the link now, someone else here has it as they were or did buy the new GM truck. Has been some trouble with it and it's trans. All is new and that is usual for new systems. Lots of Dodge fellas love their engine, have recalls on truck they don't like. Do a search on your browser. Seems like it was simple like www.dieselforum.com or something like that! frown


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 173
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 173
Did the search and found
http://www.diesel-central.com/. Thanks!


Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
Lurch: 1927 1-Ton Chevy Cattle Truck
Old and ugly is beautiful! -- The Saga
Lurch's Gallery
Justin: 1928 Chevrolet AB Canopy Express
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
As a "for-instance".... a fella at work (GM) just bought a Duramax this winter and lately I haven't seen him driving it at work as he parks by me. I thought maybe he lost his license or something as I see him riding with others. SO, I asked....his Duramax engine took a CRAP and he had it in shop, getting it replaced!! eek I'm not so sure I'm sold on this Jap/American Hybred yet! frown


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 20
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 20
GL's right, wait'n'see, never be the first to buy the new toy unless you got lot's a money to pxxx away-
Oh yeah, nothing like making a big payment and hiring a ride to work (in a furd even)while your wheels set in a lonsome parking lot waiting for parts they ain't made yet.


longtrail
It is only possible to live happily ever after one day at a time.
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 173
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 173
Hi again,

Just a postscript. I bought a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup with the Cummins 5.9 litre inline 6 diesel. It pulls my trailer with my 1927 Chevy 1 ton (Lurch) with ease and I'm getting 21 mpg! I also use this truck to commute to work, 100 miles per day.

Now that I don't have to worry about my primary drive, I can spend more time with my beloved Chevy trucks (I have six - two run and the others are projects).

Cheers, Dean


Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
Lurch: 1927 1-Ton Chevy Cattle Truck
Old and ugly is beautiful! -- The Saga
Lurch's Gallery
Justin: 1928 Chevrolet AB Canopy Express
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 146
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 146
dhmeltz

The Cummins is a whole different animal. No way to compare with a Duramax. We have the earlier 2 valves per cilinder models here. Great engines. If they were not all that expensive, I'd consider dropping one into an early Dodge truck I have here. No way to compare these 2 engines. The Cummins has a great advantage over the chevy.


Alexandre Garcia

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0