The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
was cruising around the interwebs, looking for a cost effective IFS solution and disc brake upgrade at the same time. truck will eventually be bagged and dont want to have to do a disc brake conversion twice (once now while keeping the stock suspension, and again later when i upgrade to IFS for bagging purposes). anywho,i stumbled across this page.

http://www.50chevy.freeservers.com/Bolt_on_Independent_2.html

seems pretty straight forward and simple and yet i havent found anyone else online who has done it. im new to these trucks, can anyone give me some pros/cons to this setup for the future im just not seeing?

thanks

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 13
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 13
You do not say what year or model of truck you have?

If the correct IFS is purchased for the year and model of the truck, then there is no way the tires will be sticking out past the fenders. Just do lots and lots of research and ask a ton of questions before choosing the IFS for your truck.

My 2-cents worth.... for what is worth (about 2-cents)!!

rico_bob


If you think you can you are right! If you think you can't, you are still right!
www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com <stop in and see me!>
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Do a search here. This has been done and documented very well sometime last year.


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
sorry, its a 53 half ton. ill search on here some more and see if i can find it. thanks

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Welcome to the bolt! Crank up your ditigal camera. You get more correct answers when folks can see your creation.


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
hahahaha, heres a few so far. nothing special, just looking to make a fun cruiser.

http://gripitdoes.carolinanissans.com/adizzle/redleader/

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by TooMany2count
the cons are, the tires on every one I have seen done stick 1-2 inches outside the fenders unless you run a really deep offset wheel to get them inside the wheelwells...Joe


a deep offset (low to negative) wheel will make the wheel stick further out. so do you mean you need a higher offset wheel ? or is the 'track' width of the c10 suspension wider by a few inches than the oem on the 53 truck therefore requiring you to run a higher offset wheel?

been searching for an hour for previous threads regarding this conversion, havent been able to come up with anything. can someone point me in the right direction/shoot me a link?

thanks

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
check the hipo forum,theres a guy named keahi thats doing a chassis engineering bolt in m2. lots of pictures and a blow by blow commentary.........dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
perfect, thanks guys !

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Welcome to da Bolt! I did the same thing you are contemplating for the same reason, cost. I had it shortned and it fits good to me. I took the saddle & drag link to a local shop & had the work done (I think they only charged me $50). After shortening the drag link, he welded a sleeve over the cut for added strength. Mounting the saddle was a bit challenging because it appears that he may have taken out a bit more than 1 1/2" but I just used a grinder to make it fit flush. If you plan on using a a V8 you wont be able to use the factory mounts as the engine will sit too low. I had some custom mounts fabricated but you could also modify them with blocks to raise it up. Do a search here for Joe Way. I came across some of his old posts where he did this awap.There were a couple of articles that helped me. Steve Andereggen Jr. has good info as well as this one and by Jon C Peters. You can also search this site. I know that SW Radical, & Joe Way have also gone this route.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 96
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 96
Welcome. I am in the process of doing the same swap to a 53 3600 (3/4 ton) like Mobileortho's. The 78 front suspension I used was 1-1/2" too wide, so I narrowed it by that amount. I also plan to follow Mobileortho's fix for the drag link.

I am lowering the truck. Flipped the rear axle to the top of the springs for a 6" drop in back and have installed a set of 3" drop spindles and drop springs on the new front to get the level stance that I was looking for.

As for wheels, I am thinking of using a set of late model Jeep wheels. They are 17" and have a lot of positive offset (like a front wheel drive car wheel. These should get the front tires well inside the front fenders without rubbing, but I do not have a set to try just yet.


Kevin
http://community.webshots.com/user/49chevyman?vhost=community
"The only people who do not make mistakes, are people who do not do anything."
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
I've got a MII in my truck that was done by the previous builder. I swapped out the manual rack for a power one, makes a difference when parking a 1-ton. If you are looking at bagging it I suggest you talk to Fatman Fabs or Heidt's for a complete Hub-Hub assembly. You can go from Stage 1 to Stage 4, which types of bags or Shockwaves, what type of A-arms, Whose disc brakes and size.
When looking at bags check out slam specialities, their sold through street beat customs. I have a pair of 8 inch 1/2" port 200 psi double ply bags that I paid $79 each for. These are rated at 2800 Lbs. with 12" of height and not requiring that much air to pick it up. My ride height I'm at 45 psi.
Still need to get the new pics up.
Dave


1954 custom 1-ton (1 of a kind)
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
I saw a guy on another board that used an early 50's Chevy car independent suspension. Looked like a cheap and neat alternative. Here is the link if you are interested.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246915

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
gripit ,
nice shop ! ...geeze is there any road sighns left in your neighborhood ?? ...lol


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by fireout1
I saw a guy on another board that used an early 50's Chevy car independent suspension. Looked like a cheap and neat alternative. Here is the link if you are interested.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246915


thats great! thanks


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0