The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 69 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38257 12/04/2001 5:13 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 9
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 9
Maybe a stupid question but....
Did Chevy produce a locking rear differential or something similar to 'posi-traction' in its 3100 or 3600 trucks of the early 1950's?

If so, how do you identify this type of rear-end?

Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think so, but I just sold a 56 3800 panel that had a locker. It also had a metal tag riveted to the dash saying "detroit no-spin, etc..". Maybe you can still buy the hardware from detroit or one of the other places that make locking hardware for the 4 wheel guys?

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 9
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 9
Thanks for the reply Don. The reason I'm asking about this is I seeem to recall (memory is the first to go!) seeing a diagram showing how to ID the different differentials by either the shape of the cover - OR - the style of rear hub assemblies in a vintage Chev parts catalog or the shop manual reprint. BUT - I can't find the source of this 'memory'!! :o)

Thanks again Don and thanks to anyone who has additional info -
Keith

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
I never seen any posi-trac type rearends
shown in the shop manuals for '53 Chevy
trucks. I think they first came out in '57.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0