The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37974 07/26/2003 11:36 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
The bare frame i have came with I assume 3/4 ton springs (9 leafs) can I remove 2 leafs to make 1/2 ton as this is what I am building my question is which 2 do I remove from the pack? Thanks for any info Biddaboy


1956 GMC TF 1/2 ton
1955 GMC 500 model (Gumby)
#37975 07/27/2003 5:00 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks again


1956 GMC TF 1/2 ton
1955 GMC 500 model (Gumby)
#37976 07/27/2003 5:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
I don't have a spec sheet handy, but you may find that the 3/4 ton springs are longer and wider than the 1/2 ton, which means you'll either have to fabricate mounting pads on the axle or use a 3/4 ton rear end... which limits your choices of gear ratios. I've heard of people sliding the center leaf out of a pack to soften the ride, but I'm not sure if you want to pull two out of each side. That might be enough to make it sloppy if the spring pack is long, and will certainly put more stress on the ends of the main leaves.


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.
#37977 07/28/2003 3:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
I am looking at doing this to my 57 3600 truck. In addition to the 9 leafs, I have 5 leaf progressive overload springs on mine. To say that it is stiff would be quite an understatement.I have established that both the 1/2 and 3/4 have 2" leafs and the only difference I can detect is that the 3100s were 7 leaf and the 3600s were 9 leaf. I am going to order new 3100 u-bolts and remove 2 leafs and replace the eye bolts, shacles, etc. I am also thinking about using the teflon strips.

#37978 07/28/2003 4:39 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
Hey 57 Mike I just finished rebuilding the 3/4 ton springs I have, the 2 leafs I removed are #s 3 and 4 from the top (top being the main or longest). The remaining 5 lower leafs all measured out the same as the 1/2 ton spring.You just have to shorten the clips that hold the leafs in alignment to fit the narrower pack.Good Luck Biddaboy


1956 GMC TF 1/2 ton
1955 GMC 500 model (Gumby)
#37979 07/30/2003 3:52 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
Biddaboy;

Did you notice a big difference in the stance or the stiffness of the ride? I like the stance, but the ride is too rough for the wife.

57 Mike

#37980 07/30/2003 5:19 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
Dont know yet Mike I am still building the truck just doing the frame right now on this frame-off restoration Sorry I cant Help with the ride issue .Biddaboy


1956 GMC TF 1/2 ton
1955 GMC 500 model (Gumby)
#37981 08/13/2003 8:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
Biddaboy;

I have finished removing the 3rd & 4th leafs from my rear springs, removed the existing progressive overloads, installed new u-bolts, new eye bolts and new shackles. The end result of all this work is that it dropped the rearend between 2 1/2" to 3". I can not tell about the ride yet since I have not finished redoing the front springs. I also installed the poly rider strips and will give an update in about a week when I have it all back together and driveable.

#37982 08/18/2003 7:12 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
Well here is the update that I promised on removing 2 leafs from the rear springs and adding the poly rider material to my 57 3600 . The stance did drop about 2 1/2" but the ride is night and day better. I also found several possible safety problems in the process. Things like the eye on both front springs being worn almost clear through, eye bolts and bushings rusted solid, u-bolts almost rusted through and a few others. All in all I am very happy with the increased safety factor and the improved ride.

#37983 08/18/2003 7:46 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 53
Hey Mike what modifications did you do to the front springs,how many leafs did you end up with in the front pack and how much lower is the front,also how is the stance of the truck,even,raked,? Thanks for the info Biddaboy


1956 GMC TF 1/2 ton
1955 GMC 500 model (Gumby)
#37984 08/19/2003 10:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 66
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 66
Mike, thanks for the GREAT info, now i have another project on my list.

Thanks again,
Brian K


Sometimes, David beats Goliath. Nobody talks, however, about how many little guys Goliath already beat into the ground. . .

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0