The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shade Baby, Patharr, Ponchogl, TrknGMC, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 98 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,311
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#379518 02/24/2008 6:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
I have read many postings and tech tips regarding swapping out a 216 in favor of a 235. When I bought my '49 half-ton it came with a '51 splash oiled 235. I have since purchased a used '55 full pressure oiled 235 to replace it. I understand the necessity of reusing the bellhousing (probably from a 216) that came installed in the truck. However, I wondered if I could use the flywheel, clutch assembly and starter from the newer engine. It uses a larger clutch (10" instead of the 9 1/8")and different flywheel (168 teeth?). As an experiment, since I have the engine out, I installed the old bellhousing with the newer flywheel and starter to see if it would work together. After testing for about an hour, it seemed to work fine. I would like use this setup because of the larger clutch surface.

Has anyone tried this before or am I missing something? The only change I think I will need to make is using the shorter throwout bearing.

jdwilker #379544 02/24/2008 7:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You can do this, but the newer starter needs 12 volts. That's the only issue. I did this with my 261, except I had the new flywheel machined to accept the old 6v ring gear so I could use the old starter. It cost me $50 and works great.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Here's the important part; swap the motor but keep ALL the parts including bellhousing, starter, flywheel, clutch etc etc from the old 216. When you try to mix up these pieces is when you get in trouble. The 6 volt starter loves the 12 volts.
My 46 is a 261, the bellhousing is original as are all the pieces inside, no problems.

BTW, Im using a 1946 11' flywheel, disc and pressure plate from a 2 ton truck. I've seen guys try to stuff a 11"er from a later 50s truck and it would not go into the OLD bellhousing.

Another point on the old trucks; the bellhousing that fits your truck is the key piece. It is the point of attachment for the main mounts, the trans, the master cylinder and pedal mount (on some years). Whatever inline motor you use 216,235 or 261 or even GMC will work forward of the bellhousing. BUT, everything back of the bellhousing may not necessarily interchange without some mods.

Last edited by JiMerit; 02/24/2008 8:06 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
Thanks 4ontheFloor. Since I'm also converting to 12 volts, the starter won't be an issue. Did you end up using the shorter throwout bearing, 1 7/8" vs. 1 1/4"?

jdwilker #379830 02/25/2008 9:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Yes, I think I did. I stuffed an 11" HD clutch into the 216 bellhousing. The 261 was out of a '62 suburban with a hydraulic clutch but the pressure plate and clutch fit in the 216 bellhousing just fine with a little parts swapping. It was a tight fit and I had to pick through my parts bin to find a shorter bearing, but it all went in just fine. I don't remember the dimension but it was shorter than the one from the 216. In fact, I think I might have used a different clutch fork, maybe one from a '57 235, but I'm not sure.

Go with the biggest clutch you can get ahold of, 235's may not have much horsepower but they do put out gobs of torque.

Last edited by 4ontheFloor; 02/25/2008 9:41 AM.

Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0