The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
12 members (Rusty Heaps, MickeyP, 3B, pauld, Forty9, bluechev, Otto Skorzeny, FAST55, Ole49GMC, 37 GC, BC59, 1 invisible), 120 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,628
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
I know this forum is for BIG trucks, but my 3/4 ton is pretty beefy. I have just inherited my father's tow truck and I have MANY questions. Has anyone ever heard of a "tow champ" wrecker bed? It was distributed by Champion Manufacturing Co. in Harrisonville, Missouri. It has dual wheel adapters (8 lug to 6 lug). I need new dual rims, but have no idea where to start looking for these. I would like to move away from split rims, but will take what I can get.


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 95
U
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
U Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 95
May be time to take a vacation and make some new friends.
http://www.internationaltowingmuseum.org/

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
what size are the rims you are looking for? ther maybe a junkyard in wittman az that will have what you are looking for but he does not have a phone. kind of a back woods men! some stuff all the way back too early 1900's!

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
Underdog - thanks for the link. If I am ever in TN I'll have to go there.

Last edited by 54TOW; 02/22/2008 3:12 AM.

David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Did you say "Tow Truck" !, That's right down my alley. I've heard of that Manufacturer, & have seen vintage literature on ebay. Check with Walter Miller of, www.autolit.com , he may have some info., on it. Click into my link below. I'm into Antique Ernest Holmes Wreckers. Got any pictures you can post.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
Spanky!

I was hoping to hear from you - I have looked at your pictures, and WOW! You have quite the collection. I have submitted a story, and a few pictures to the gallery, and it will be a couple of weeks before they post. I appreciate the link.

Thanks,
David


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
Pete-

The rims I have are all 17 inch.

David


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
It has dual wheel adapters, 8 lug to 6 lug.

Look at my picture of my bus, it has the same type of rear wheels. An adapter goes from 8 lug to 6 lug and the dual wheels on the rear have 6 lugs and they are 17" wheels.

I went to put 8 lug 18" wheels and tires on the rear of the bus, took off the adapters, and the "track" of the tires and wheels was too narrow. So back when on the adapters and the old tires and wheels.

I have some 18" 8 lug budd type wheels for a 3800 but I am thinking that you need the extra space the adapter gives you to proper clearance on the wheel wells of the wrecker body.

Jim in Springfield, MO


Here is a link to some stuff about my brothers and I
http://bus-plunge.blogspot.com/search?q=hemmings
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
You are right about the adapters. I have found a company that will make tubeless rims to your(our)(any) specs. It is http://www.stocktonwheel.com/industrail_wheels.php I just have to wait for the $$


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Welcome aboard 54TOW, I have heard of Champion Manufacturing but have never seen the Tow Champ Model. Waiting with baited breath (Haaa..h) for pictures.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
the link was just added to my signature - have a look!


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
neat truck


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Awesome Truck! Love it, and it came from right here in my back yard. Sweeet!
MONGO


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Let me add my welcome to the Stovebolt World! wave Great looking 54 Chevy. thumbs_up I like it. And the personal history is something to cherish. As some of the others I too am interested in the 8-to-6 lug adapters on the rear. I wish you could/would post some close-up pics of that. I now have my third AD 3600 pickup and I am interested in any/all accessories, adapters, dually conversions or special parts. Good luck with it and have fun safely. grin


Professional Novice
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Sharp looking Tow Truck !! Those custom cabs sure look good. Check the base of those boom tubes for rot before you tow with it. It was common for them to collect water and rust away. They can be sleeved inside with black iron pipe and rewelded. You don't want a break away.
* I had a split boom Holmes shear a center pin years ago. Very strange when the car you are towing trys to pass you !!!


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
Mongo - WOW that extended cab of yours is sweet!



David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0