The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Donf, 46 Texaco, Southerntruck, Nick in Manitou, Hotrod Lincoln, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#377725 02/20/2008 6:22 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
I'm playing with the idea of attempting to locate and install a set of 3/4 ton springs on my 55.2. It's a 3100 1/2 ton short bed, and I use it most weekends to haul the trash to the dump, but a couple of times a year I overload it with rocks or dirt or...whatever. I realize that it will bounce more, but it's a truck right? That's why I own it. I imagine many have gone the reverse route, putting lighter springs on a 3/4 or 1 ton, can they be swapped as just a bolt on?

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you should be able to tell if they'll interchange from info in your shop manual, but not much point in having a terrible ride empty so you can carry more weight occassionally - check around at spring shops and find some overload leafs to install, keeps the trucks normal ride empty, supports the extra weight when necessary .... and make sure the back shocks are HD

my long 1/2T has overloads and it carries over 2000# of apples during harvest time with no problem

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I think that they will swap. I have the heavy duty spring option in my 3200, they're identical to the base springs for a 3/4 ton, and the parts for the bushings and shackles are the same according to the assembly manual. But I agree with red58, get some overloads with heavy duty shocks, or possibly a set of air shocks to support the weight, that'll kep you from losing the ride quality when unloaded.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0