The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, 1955 1 Series, joe apple, klhansen, GRNHydra, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, Opelika Tom), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
hello all. im a newbie here and love to check out all of the topics. I was wondering if anyone else has gone with a swingarm type frame. I am almost up and running with my 49 using a 71 half ton chassis. Not sure if I like it yet as I have yet to drive it, but the thing had the right track width and front disk with the 5 lug pattern, and was set for the v8. I just finished my engine and trans and hope to be driving soon.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
That trailing arm rear suspension is considered a good approach for some applications and has been used in Nascar for a long time. Not sure if they still do.

The front suspension you are using is usually considered to be too wide for a stock AD truck. Its been used, some guys narrow the crossmember, others used wheels with negative offset. You may want to fit the front clip on the truck and check the fit.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
You should definitly get a better ride with that suspension.And there are plenty of lowering springs available if you decide to lower it a bit.Not only that,but you now have independent front suspension which means better ride yet plus good handling.Are you gonna use power steering?

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 34
yes , I already have the truck fit to the frame and with power steering. The width does not look off at all using old school style steel wheels. the only thing I really see weird is that I have almost no room between the water pump and radiator to make the wheel base right. I am using the long style pump though. I could fit a low profile fan without a clutch but I bought an electric s blade type from flex a lite and mounted it in front of the radiator using some small brackets I made up. It is made to be reversed if one wishes and puts out 2500 cfm of air . Im thinking it will be fine since im running the 3 core radiator. Also it cleans up the engine bay and you will never see the other fan hidden underneath the front side.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 595
anyone i have ever spoken with wishes they had not used the later frame for the reason the track width was too wide.the crossmembers seem to work better when they are narrowed and fit to the stock frame. that is just feedback i have heard personally.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0