The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TrknGMC, Bill Hanlon, Hanks custodian, JW51, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,311
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 56
V
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 56
Check out our latest blog where we test an old MSD box we found at a swap meet and figure out that we can keep the points under the distributor but don't wear the points out anymore.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/500/1/

We have everything installed today, I'm waiting on a valve cover gasket before I can test it and see how it worked. I'll keep you posted.


You can take the girl off the farm, but you can't take the animals out of her truck.
Watch the build of my 1954 Chevy at www.v8tvshow.com
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I think I heard the gentleman say that when the points close, the full power of the coil goes through them to fire the plugs...huh! ohwell

That's where I quit watching so maybe I didn't get the full story.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I have now watched the entire clip. I don't think the gentleman narrating it fully understands the theory of the points style ignition and how the primary and secondary of the coil function...or I don't, which is a possibility! wave

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 56
V
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 56
Yes, that was a little misleading... I think he meant to say that the MSD box has its own power supply and capacitor inside to fire the coil, so the current draw on the distributor is much less, saving wear on the points. That capacitor in the MSD recharges quicker and supplies the coil with the proper voltage. Sorry for the confusion!


You can take the girl off the farm, but you can't take the animals out of her truck.
Watch the build of my 1954 Chevy at www.v8tvshow.com

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0