The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (lumbersawyer, tclederman, TUTS 59, 39Master85, 1 invisible), 38 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
I have a rear axle form a 57 chevy truck under my 53. I would love to have both wheels spinning...is there a list of interchange for a posi for this rearend? I tried some searching but found no definitive answer.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I read in John Gunnel's book about 46-72 Chevy pickups (I forget the title, sorry) that Chevy first offered their Posi-Trac (positive traction/ limited slip) rears in 59 trucks. Finding and identifying one may be a bigger challenge. Probably someone with knowledge will respond soon.


Professional Novice
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
The limited slip rear used was a spicer 45. The HO33 was likely to be the rear used in a 57. The HO33 does not have positraction or limited slip setups available for it. There are also only 2 gearsets you will find for it... 3.90 or 3.38. If posi traction or limited slip is a requirement for you... you will likely have to find another axle.

It was a priority for me in my 1940 gmc, so I ordered an IMCA modified ford 9 inch. You can get them in any width, bolt pattern, and strength you can imagine. Not to mention it has a virtually infinite sellection of gears, positractions and limited slips available for it. Best of all it was all new, and I didn't have to crawl under a bunch of trucks at the wrecking yards with a tape measure to find one.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0