| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,106 Posts1,056,217 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | Hi, I am interested in adding an overdrive unit in my 36 half ton model truck. It currently has the original trans and engine. I am thinking to later swap in a full pressure 235 unit and have found out on here that I can still retain my original transmission and torque tube.
What vendors offer these units and what is the adverage cost?
What is involved and will modifications need to be performed to the torque tube?
Does anyone have a suggestion to accomplish this without altering to much of the originality of the vehicle.
Thanks in advance, Dave | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | The "torque tube overdrives" were somewhat common many years ago but for the most part they are unobtainum. There is an article on them in Tom Brownell's book "How to restore your Chevrolet pickup" which was printed some time back. A B/W or other OD assy was incorporated into the torque tube which required extensive machining, welding, and skills. I have seen them on Model A's and a friend had a 46 Ford ragtop that had one installed. You would be better off converting to an open driveline where you would have more options. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | Hello Fred,
Thank you for the information. I have wrote to Gear Vendors with questions in regards to this addition, they have not since wrote me back on the subject. Somehow I knew on here I would find the answer and sure enough, I have, thanks.
Since I was planning to change the engine I suppose a complete drive line change including an open type driveshaft is the simpilist way to go as you mentioned. Any ideas on engine, trans and rear swaps, say a 55 chevy truck. I basically want a full presure conversion with the least amount of hassels. Could I change the original ring and pinion as I know these were limited on the enclosed torque tube types.
Thank you again, Dave | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | I don't know how wide the rear end can be for a 36 but I would say you could probably use a 55-57 car rear end but not a 55-59 truck. An S-10 is also a good possibility. Maybe others have an opinion on this. There are lots of transmissions available from 55 up including a couple of overdrives. The full oil pressure 235 is a good choice and will run forever. I know there are ring and pinion gears available through assorted aftermarket suppliers for AD & TF trucks but have no knowledge on the earlier ones. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Truckstell made O/D units for Chevy cars from about 40-54. They were after-market items that Chevy dealers and other up-fitters installed in cars, and 1/2-ton pickups and Suburbans. There was a discussion about one on here about 2-3 months ago. They went in the torque-tube something like rfs56trk said. Try a search of these forums for truckstell. This is not the same as Ruckstell that made 2-speed rear axle conversions for Model T Fords.
Professional Novice
| | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | Frank, That search yielded no results but thanks anyway I will keep trying. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 | The search for "truckstell" brings considerable results. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 | Bendix made an overdrive both manual and electric which can be made to work. I have several friends who have them installed on 33 and 34 chevys with the torque tube.
"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real" "Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe" 41 1/2-ton, a work in progress 68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
| | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | I have been reading up on the subject and have seen where some guy's simply change the ring and pinion. Its a lot cheaper and a lot less work. Any ideas who has these and what I can expect in ratio's.
GEAR VENDORS offers an overdrive but requires the torque tube to be shipped to Calif. The cost is 4000.00 WOW!
Frank, Got the info, I was misspelling the word. Lots of information, thx.
Dave
| | |
| |
| |