| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,430 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 | Hello All. I am looking for a wiring diagram for a 1966-69 3 speed overdrive. If anyone has one I would greatly appreciate a scan of it. I did receive a package of pages from a 1969 PU truck about the overdrive, but it didn't include the wiring diagram. Also if you have any insight regarding how to make it all work properly or some "not to do's", that would be great. Thanks for your time. Bert.
Bert 1964 Chev Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 266 | Burt, may I have a copy of that diagram when you get one? I'm in the same boat with my B-W R10-Q that is laying in my garage floor right now. Thanks! -Drew | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | check pdf's here, should be what you need Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 | Thanks Bill, that is exactly what I need. Bert.
Bert 1964 Chev Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 | OK, I need some more help. I am running this overdrive unit in my 64 Cheve Suburban, with a 250 in front of it. The shifter rods I have are not working well for me and I have been dealing with some pretty weird shifting patterns. Also having some difficulties with first gear popping out when stopped at a light. I just had this tranny rebuilt, so it should be functioning correctly, but it seems the shift rods won't function properly as they are not the right length
I have read somewhere that if you change the shift rods for the ones out of a specific chevy car that came with the overdrive they will functions properly.
Has anyone read that article somewhere and remember where it is?
Any help would be appreciated. Bert.
Bert 1964 Chev Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | don't know about that, the rods from a car prolly wouldn't hook up right with the box on the lower column - I'd expect the rods and the levers bolted to the trans from a 3 speed truck would work, it may be you have different levers, from the car
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | There is no difference in the shift rods for a truck with a regular 3 speed and the truck with the 3 speed OD. The side cover is the same also. Both side cover shift levers should point down. The shift rods should be virtually the same for all 60-66 trucks. You could have a mix and match set up or they have been bent out of shape. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 20 | Thanks Fred and Bill
So what I need is the shifting rods out of a truck that had this transmission in it. It is the 7 bolt side cover on the tranny meaning after 1969 I believe, so would shift levers from a 66 pick up work or do I need to find them from a 69 and up pick up? Thanks for your help. Bert.
Bert 1964 Chev Suburban
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | OK, I need to clarify my previous post. The 60-65 3 speeds had a 4 bolt side cover and the 3 speeds were all the same. In 66 only the OD trans was a Saganaw with the 7 bolt side cover, the regular 3 speed had the 4 bolt side cover. The shift rods on your 64 were correct for the original trans but will have to be modified to fit the Saganaw which has different shift levers and different spacing on the side cover. The likelyhood you are going to find the 66 3 speed OD shift rods are slim to none as not many of them were built. 67-69 was a different truck so I am not sure those rods would fit. I put a 3 sp (non OD) Saganaw trans in a 65 a while back and we had to do some major bending to the rods to make them work. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | |
| |
| |