The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36565 06/30/2004 4:36 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
I just completed a head rebuild on my truck and thought while I was at it I would fix the oil pan. Everything went back together fine but when I drove the truck it was leaking from the tranny cover. I assume this is the rear main seal. It's a 1950 3/4 ton with a '49 235. After shutting it down, it leaked about a 8" diameter puddle. After reviewing the postings on the forum, it appears as though this engine is prone to leaking. Should I attempt the fix or is it just going to leak again?

Keep in mind that I bought it not running so this is the first time I have had it running and therefore don't know if it leaked before.

#36566 06/30/2004 5:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
It sounds to me that this is not a leak that you would want to live with. Can you get a small mirror to look at the back of the head to make sure it is not coming from the valve cover ? The old rear main seals commonly seep a little, but not a puddle like that. If that were coming from the rear main, it would trash your clutch in no time.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#36567 06/30/2004 5:26 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Since you've worked on the cylinder head, check out the valve cover first. Chances are, you've got a leak there, which is running around the bellhousing and dripping off the bottom. Always remember, oil can't run uphill, so look for the highest wet spot.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#36568 06/30/2004 6:50 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
Great advice guys. I did put a new valve cover gasket on it and just assumed it was fine. When I looked at the tranny cover, it was leaking out the whole in the very bottom. I'm pretty sure it is coming from within the cover but I'll look tonight. Also, this engine was rebuild a few years ago and probably only has a few hundred miles on it. I don't know what kind of seal they used as a replacement.

#36569 06/30/2004 9:02 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
Well, I checked the valve cover gasket and it is wet. I also felt the new gasket on the front and back edge and the cover isn't tightening down on the gasket. Regardless of how tight I get the valve cover, the gasket moves in the front and back. I am hopeful this will fix the oil leak once I figure out how to get it sealed.

Any tips on sealing the valve cover? I didn't use adhesive because I wanted to be able to adjust the valves in the future.

#36570 06/30/2004 10:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
The first time I did this I glued the gasket to the valve cover with Indian Head shellac. That didn't work. The next time I glued it to the head, better, but still leaked at the front and back. Spent some time flattening the flange at the front and back on the valve cover, and then put a small bead of hylomar just on the front and back flange of the cover. I don't like to use this stuff with cork gaskets, but it did seem to stop the leak. hopefully when I take off the valve cover again, it will scrape right off!

#36571 07/15/2004 1:11 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
I just resealed my valve cover with Permatex #2. For the most part it sealed. I have a little bit of seapage at the back of the valve cover AND still the same drip on the ground.

The leak at the valve cover is minimal. I really don't think it's enough to cause this much on the ground. The funny thing about it is that I can let the truck idle and it doesn't drip. I thought this was a good indication it was not the rear seal.

However, if I drive it and then bring it back in the garage and let it sit for 1/2 hours or so, I get a spot on the floor about 6" in diameter.

I'm going to seal the valve cover AGAIN but I don't believe it could all be coming from this spot.

If it was a rear main, wouldn't it leak any time it's running??

Any ideas?

#36572 07/15/2004 2:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I just finished replacing my rear main seal, oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket and seal, side cover gasket & valve cover gasket. I'm too chicken to turn the engine over. Hopefully I won't be chasing too many puddles.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#36573 07/15/2004 4:49 PM
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 424
When the rear main leaks, the oil gets slung around by the flywheel and sprays all over the inside of the bellhousing. After the truck sits awhile, this oil slides down into the inspection cover and leaks out the weep hole. This is why it doesn't show up as a puddle on the ground right away.


To be long remembered as he's cruising in
The Passing Lane
#36574 07/15/2004 5:01 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 105
That's interesting because I don't see a lot of oil on the flywheel, if any. There is some on the bell housing and crank cap. Other than that, I don't see much.

Even if it was being slung around, it should leak while running. It has to go somewhere, correct?

#36575 07/15/2004 5:39 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Start with a couple of spray cans of degreaser like Gunk, and get the inside of the bellhousing as clean as possible, ditto around the back of the engine and valve cover. Hose it off with hot water if possible. Once it's clean, it's much easier to spot the location of a leak. I used to use a product that turned the oil bright red, and it was easy to see what was newly-leaked oil, and what was residue from previous leaks. It's been over 20 years since I used it, and I don't remember the brand name or manufacturer.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0