Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
163
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Hello, I have removed the bed, the hood, front fenders, aprons etc and completed the rust repair on these panels as well as the cab exterior, interior and floor. My question is: How do you determine whether or not to remove the cab?
I do want to re-paint the firewall and I am hoping to be able to do so without pulling the engine or the cab. Is this a cheesy shortcut? Has anyone been able to do this?
Thanks, brian | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 41 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 41 | I was in the same boat with my 55 stepside. After looking at it, there are only 4 bolts holding the cab to the chassis. I figure 4 bolts + 4 friends + 4 beers = cab off in about 4 minutes! I think it would turn out a lot better with the cab off and away from the engine/chassis. This also allows you to finish off the frame under the cab nicely too.
Hope this help.
Anthony | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | Well, your so close to frame off. I'm guessing you don't have the equipment to lift heavy objects, hoist, cherry picker ect? If the cab only needs some paint you could mask off the engine and blow some color behind it. Consider renting the equipment you need? Just my 2$. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | hey yakima, I wish i had some of that equipment. any idea how much a 58 cab would weigh? Everything is out of the cab including doors, glass, bench, eater etc? Thanks brian | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Question is, how big of a hurry are you. For mine I choose through over quicker. 55stepside says 4 bolts, 4 minutes, 4 beers. I say 4 bolts, 1 steering wheel and column, many electricals, 1 fuel tank etc. and 2 days work. However if you're not in a hurry that is the best way to go.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | It only took two of us to lift my cab, of course all the glass and everything else removable was removed. We used a 2X8X10. Of course you will need a cheery picker to lift the motor.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Not sure about your year truck, but an AD cab can be rolled backward onto the frame, if you put an old mattress or some other cushion on it, and I've heard that 4 men can safely lift an AD cab with 2x8's if it's stripped.
Either method will give you access to everything the cab was covering.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 41 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 41 | Question is, how big of a hurry are you. For mine I choose through over quicker. 55stepside says 4 bolts, 4 minutes, 4 beers. I say 4 bolts, 1 steering wheel and column, many electricals, 1 fuel tank etc. and 2 days work. However if you're not in a hurry that is the best way to go. Correct. Once you make the decision to remove the cab, it first needs to be gutted out. I'm not a full-time mechanic, but it took me no more than half a Saturday to gut my cab. Most of that time was spent wrestling with the steering column/steering box to separate the two. I simply cut the wiring at the firewall since I was upgrading the electricals with new modern wiring. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | Brian, You are close enough and have your cab stripped far enough down not to take the plunge and remove. If you're thinking or considering it and don't do it later on you'll probably regret it. Whether it takes 4 minutes or 2 days, I vote yes for removal. Dan
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Thanks Dan, I have been debating it as I work for a couple of weeks. This is the first project I have undertaken. I am a little (i will admit it) chicken to disconnect steering and the rest of the mechanical.
If I do this do you think the Assembly Manuals will be able to clearly illustrate how to put them back together?
Thanks, Brian the chicken | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes, an assembly manual is quite helpful, but if you pay attention when you take things apart, and collect lots of pictures, you won't have a problem, the simplicity of these ol trucks makes it all a piece of cake
if you really don't need to remove the engine, doing a good job on the cab will be easier off the frame, or at least rolled onto it's back, including a much better shot at the underside .... also easier to clean up the trans and the back of the engine
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Thanks Bill, It is amazing that as you work on the truck you go deeper and deeper. Personally it is hard for me not to be thorough. Since I have plenty of time I think that I will go for it. Even though it would not be an area easy to see, I will always know.
Thanks, brian | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | I vote for removal. ( 4 ) guys can lift off without much difficulty. Keep notes / pics of disassembly of components. Not too bad. If you leave the cab on, how about just pulling the motor ? Pretty easy with no front end in the way. Could freshen up the motor at the same time. Trying to get a good paint job on the firewall without janking the motor will be difficult. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 | One thing you can do to aid in reassembly of the mechanicals is to take pictures of it before disassembly of the steering etc. I would not use a cell phone camera for this as the photos are grainy and will not show you detail where you need it. Just a thought! Remove it if you have time and space. You are so far into it now!
Hank | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | It is always better to remove everything. The only question is will you get frustrated, tired, and lose interest if you can't finish the rebuild in a short time. There are plenty of partially finished projects out there littering the hotrod landscape.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Hey Big Chevy, I am already at 4 years plus. I am not in a hurry. Frustrtated sometimes, tired sure, but the bottom line is that it is FUN. also I get to say that i did it  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 70 | Brain i will second the cab removal your that close now man and you will regret not doing it later .. you will have a nicer truck also besides you have all this great help here for any troubles you may run into not to mention isn't that what they also make shop manuals for . Later Earl | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Thanks Earl, The result of the 2008 CAB CAUCUS is that it is coming off. This weekend I plan to remove the few remaining items and get ready to pop it.
Thanks, Brian | | | | | Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 70 | Brain GOOD LUCK and remember always take two and think about your lifting & moving any thing that heavy be careful and also have. TAKE Lots of pictures Later Earl | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 30 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 30 | Hey Brian,
Talk about digging deeper and deeper. I was suppose to put a IFS on my truck do the body work and paint and put her back on the road. Well after I done the clip I changed my mind and so that frame to a friend. Did a mustang II brought new left springs and changed my mind and now have a 4 link. After that patch work on the body next thing I noticed the cab was over there, 58 fenders were changed out to 55 front clip, the 350 engine 700r4 trans was changed out to 5.3 liter with a 460LE trans, and the money just kept going up and up. . This is after I got through building the 55 210. But when I'm done at least I will be satified. My wife just thinks I nuts and she is right. If you are thinking about doing a frame off do it. By the way a friend and I took the cab off my frame. Its not that heavy. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 141 | Nice work Mkabwe! I hope to have my cab to that stage in a few weeks.
Brian | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 23 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 23 | The more you do the better it will look. A frame off restoration is the best way to go. It will allow you to get the frame looking good as well as the rest of the truck. You will not regret it.
Making chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. 1955 Ford F100 1954 GMC
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | You will be surprised how much of that truck is found under the cab and around the frame in general. There are several items you can totally rebuild/add with the cab off, new brake booster and lines, tranny cooler on the frame, new fuel line, just to name a few.
~Jim
| | |
| |