The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Jon G, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 142 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,413
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
On my '48 half-ton, I just installed new channels, and the glass is new, also. Everything looks okay, but the window won't fit down into the channel. I tipped it in to the door like the book says, but when I try to pull the top up to set everything level, it jams. I tried grinding off the lower corners of the glass frame a bit to make it easier, but no luck.

Anybody got any tips or useful suggestions? It's really frustrating. I'm sooo close to being finished.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Windows are a royal PITA... you can't see squat and getting your hands up inside there is nearly impossible.

Is it possible the glass isn't slipping into the felt channel?. Is it hitting metal? Have you tried winding the mechanism up and down to try different heights?

I feel for you brother... I have yet to do one thing on mine that went without a hitch. Now I have this to look forward to.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
They're in!! The problem was me. My old man came over and had them both in within five minutes. Damned if I can figure out what I did wrong, because he stuck them in the channels the same way I did, but they slid in for him.

Now I've got a worse problem, but that's for a different post, and I have to do some research first.

Thanks, Czechman! Like you, my truck has fought me every step. The only parts that went on easily were the bumpers.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by Tom R
My old man came over and had them both in within five minutes. Damned if I can figure out what I did wrong, because he stuck them in the channels the same way I did, but they slid in for him.

Remember that age and treachery always overcomes youth and enthusiasm grin

Gimme' your dad's phone number... I'm working on my doors right now.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
H
Houston54
Unregistered
Houston54
Unregistered
H
Having done this within the past week I have learned that the replacement window channels are a bit tight for the glass I got from LMC. A little time spent widening the channel width has helped some and a little silicone spray has helped a bit more. I have been told they will free up more with use.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
AINT THEM OLDER FOLKS JUST SO USEFUL AT TIMES !!...lol ..I usually dont go more than 2 weeks before I call Dad an say ..hey ya EVER??..an he gives me the 1 minute of quiet ..an then says OK take this an do that..an THEN do this ....42 yrs ..he been doin this for me ...so I can say ...RESPECT YOUR ELDERS , THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW !..even if ya in middle life !


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
How right you are, Radial! My dad is 83. He had a gas station when I was really young, drove stock cars, and has been a gearhead all his life. He's gotten me out of numerous mechanical situations, too. And I've rescued him a few times, too.

I hope my son feels the same way. He's a big shot computer applications guy at a major financial management company, but not overly mechanically inclined. Last weekend he said his washer was dumping bleach on the floor, and within two minutes, we had it fixed. It was crud in the filler tube. I knew what to look for from experience with my washer. It feels good to be able to help like that.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0