Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,083 Posts1,056,331 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 | I know there is a 2 speed for the Chevy 3/4 ton. Any one know where I might find one or any way of adapting a newer one to an old truck. Have the 216 with a 4 speed. Not sure what make the 4 speed is. The truck still uses a 6 volt system. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Keith I'm not aware of a 2 speed for a 3/4-ton. Are you sure you're not thinking of the 2-speed rear axle using in 1-1/2 ton and 2-ton trucks?
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 | I saw one on a farm truck in the mid west, a 3/4 ton with a deck on it. Do you think I can find it again. They showed it mounted behind the tranny with a short driveshaft between them. It actualy was hanging from the xmember. If I recall it used a planetary gear type setup to change the ratio. Wish I had saved a picture of it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | The Gearvendors Overdrive would look like that and could be a good choice, but it is spendy.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | I believe it is called a brownie, and as I understand there were a variety of them, 2 and 3 speeds. The big truck guys probably know more about them. Probably not too many of them around. Fred
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | Does the 42 3/4 ton have a full length torque tube, or does it have an open rear diff? My 1940 3/4 ton has the torque tube so it would be difficult to modify it in such a way... unless the overdrive mounted in between the 8 inch extension and the transmission. Period correct overdrives are out there, but it is very difficult to find all the pieces to make em work. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 | Mine is an open shaft. The photo I saw had a short shaft between the tranny and overdrive. I'll do some more searching and check out Gearvendors. I'd rather do this than put a different set of gears in the dif | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 | The overdrive I'm looking for is a Truckstell overdrive. Anyone know where I might find one | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | I would like to find a Truckstell "Tip-Toe-Matic" overdrive myself. This has been discussed on this site before. Do a search for truckstell. Somebody posted pictures of the one they had. I look on eBay at least weekly for one but have not seen one yet. I did buy a copied assembly manual though. Good luck.
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | I had a Columbia two speed rear end for my old F*^$ when in HS and it had a torque tube rear. It seems like someone would still offer such a device especially with gasoline becoming a hose-armed bandit. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | Since a 42 3/4 ton has basicly the same rear end as a 1/2 ton I would think it would be easier to change the gears,find a center section from a mid 60s 1/2 ton with a better gear and with a couple gaskets and some gear lube you would be done in a couple hours at the most. Jeff | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | I have a Truckstell installed in my 1945 GMC. It combines with the 3.55 Ring and pinion for quite a nice highway ride. I can pass most anything-including gas stations! As far as I know, all Truckstells are designed for use with column shifted vehicles. Mine is a floor shift and does not use the extraneous controls shown in the Truckstell manuals. I also happen to have a spare one. In case anyone was thinking of PM-ing me--I paid dearly for it. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 63 | I know a guy in Washington that has one, and I also got the book about the Truckstell. Did get an email about one and hope to hear from the gentleman again. Yeh, just put $80 bucks in the tank and didn't even fill it. | | |
| |