The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (RLB), 59 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,580
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#354290 12/30/2007 7:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 289
Below is the description of a '59 Apache as listed on Ebay. tried to make the good part bold. I pasted it here, so it will live for eternity compared to the 6 months or so it's available on Ebay. This should end anyone's thoughts of using Soda. Truck sold for $7,050. Pictures were too dark to tell much. Ebay item number 200185162266, Ended 12/27/07. I do not know either the buyer or seller.

Eric

Vehicle Description

This auction is for a 1959 Apache pickup by Chevrolet. It was restored two years ago and was a complete frame off restoration. Everything was sandblasted with soda ( as recommended by Hot Rod mag.) and new cab corners were installed. the rest of the sheet metal was in good condition as is the case in Nevada. A newer 12 bolt rear end with new 3:73 gears was installed as well as a 700 R4 automatic transmission with a complete rebuild and lock-up converter to make it feel like a 5-speed. B&M shifter, VDO colored tach, new stereo, all new interior and new tires. The engine is a 400 SBC .030 over with a complete balanced rotating assembly. All new pistons, valves, valve springs, heads redone, Edelbrock cam and lifter kit, new manifold(air Gap) and Edelbrock carberator. All new headers and exhaust system was installed. All new engine fasteners inside and out. The truck will run on the freeway all day long and gets good mileage but produces around 375 HP easily. New alternator new starter a new painless wiring harness and fuse box were installed. All new summit chrome engine dress up kit, new tranny dipstick, new transmission crossmember and mounts, new motor mounts,new water pump and fan, electric fan and aluminum radiator (all new). The truck has no more tha 1500 miles since rebuild (probably less) and I am sure I am leaving out lots of stuff. I am selling this for a friend but I can answer all the questions as I built most of the truck. The only bad part of the truck is paint, it is new PPG base/clear but as mentioned earlier we used soda to blast it as seen in a Hot Rod article. After washing it the truck was primed with acid etching primer and then regular primer but the soda has come out of seams and cracks and is peeling the paint. It will need a complete paint job to get back to show quality. Any questions call me at 1-775-623-0988 evenings, ask for Joel.










Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
What a shame!


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
Sounds like the truck wasn't taken apart before painting. That's sad. I don't ever recomend soda blasting. I prefer sand blasting, and then painting everything in pieces.



No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 7
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 7
i think the right word is proper preperation. don't think i'd blame it on soda blasting.

jwart #358200 01/09/2008 12:19 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 37
Well, I have to wonder why a company like Eastwood would tout soda, if this not a workable medium. I've got to question the prep work, too. Has anyone got stories about warpping sheet metal with sand blasting? Maybe, this is not as much of an issue with Bolts because the sheet metal is thicker than later producions.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0