Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
4 members (Shaffer's1950, cmayna, 2 invisible),
122
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | HI.....My wife bought me a set of new steel running board from Chevy Duty. My old ones are bent and a bit rusted but the support arms are in great shape. I have never changed a set of running boards out is there anything you guys/gals could recommend to me before I start the process...Thanks and T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | An extra set of running board bolts & a roll of anti-squeek (if necessary) will get you where you need to go.  I say if necessary because anti-squeek is used on my coupe but I don't know if the trucks used it or not.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,519 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,519 | Hi Steve,,the only place anti squeak is used on the trucks in where the board meets the rear fender. But it definitely wouldnt hurt to put a srip over each bracket. As far as new bolts,,theyre 1/4-20x 1 1/2" carriage bolts. You oughta look into having them running boards chromed before you put them on. Happy Truckin,
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | OK you guys I give up anti-squeak? I'm ordering the gaskets that go to the rear fenders and the rubber strip that sits above the boards....CHROME! No way this is a stock 54 none of that hoo-doo will be tolerated here. If they were chrome you would need SPF500 sun block and welding goggles just to drive it around....Marty you are on the edge yet again....T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | The rubber strip above the boards is what's called anti-squeek. It stops metal to metal contact and the squeek that results. I just didn't know if the trucks had it too. In the catalogs I have it's referred to as anti-squeek.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | | | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | Now how nice would it be to see running boards in stainless... I would buy a set for sure. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | OK, while we are at it before I have the boards painted has anyone used Line-X on their running boards. How have they held up and do they look correct for our style of truck? Would you do it again?????? I'm torn between a gloss black paint or a Line-X finish...help me out with the correct decision and Thanks and T/C Steve | | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | I have seen RHINOS coatings used on some quality rides that are in use everyday. Most guy's use it as a protective coating on the inside of the fenders to reflect stones which will cause starring in the finish paint coats on the top of the fenders, usually 30's type cars and trucks. It was and is designed as a bed liner. They offer several colors and look pretty darn good. The durability is incrediable as it can be applied up to a 1/4 inch thick. Don't know what level you truck is going to be but the RHINO COATINGS offers excellent protection and adhearsion is incrediable. I think it would look nice as I have seen this done before with excellent results, especially if someone is stepping on those beautifully painted boards. Just my opinion. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 451 | Saw Rino used on a ford project on chop cut rebuild. They used it on fenders for pebble protection as Dave states, but were experimenting with it in areas to prevent the need of gaskets and anti-squeak. Never said if it worked but did comment the thickness was not a problem with the fit after application. I am considering using it in the cab under seat for gas tank sitting on and the strapping. If it works may go from there. Also going to play with the rattle can version a bit as well when I mount my cab and bed to frame. Brett
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | I was also wondering do they become faded and begin to discolor and what about the finish is it smooth or really bumpy like in the back of a truck bed? My truck is a driver but very nice. After awhile painted boards become scratched and chipped so that's why the questions about the liner finish... is Rhino a better finish then Line-X???? T/C Steve | | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | I don't know if RHINO is better then LINE X, I have never heard of them. Rhino linings can be put on to any desider thickness. I have never seen one loose its color but that is a good question. I think they may be able to do a smoother finish. I am going to search the Internet on the LINE X product line for information.
CAVEBULL, I know a few rodders that used it inside their cabs on the floors. They claimed it was an excellent sound deadner. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | From all your help and you guys seeing the Rhino in action I think I will go with them. They have a store in Sacramento about 1.5 hrs from us...if you can think of anything else please let me know and T/C, Steve | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | OK, while we are at it before I have the boards painted has anyone used Line-X on their running boards. How have they held up and do they look correct for our style of truck? Would you do it again?????? I'm torn between a gloss black paint or a Line-X finish...help me out with the correct decision and Thanks and T/C Steve I used a product similar to Line-X (Bulldog was the name)on my boards and would definetly do it again. Be sure to go with one that offers a lifetime warranty and you'll never regret it. The surface is slip and scratch resistant and I can step into the bed without grabbing onto the truck. Here's a pic: http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/curt160/runningboards/?action=view¤t=after.jpg
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | | Dave Giorgi Unregistered | Curt, those boards only compliment the rest of your beautiful pickup. Love the contrasting blue interior. Did you do this yourself? Weather you did or not she a beaut. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | OK.... My uncle has an old shop manual 1954 for the 3100 BUT it is missing a few pages here and there on what page would the running boards / fender parts break down be listed. Would this breakdown be contained in the new re-print manual(my cousin has one far from here) and on what pages? Thanks for the help and T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Pages 11-8 through 11-10 in the 1954 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual describe removal, disassembly, and installation of fenders and running boards. There are no photos, diagrams, or drawings. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 180 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 180 | I was also wondering do they become faded and begin to discolor and what about the finish is it smooth or really bumpy like in the back of a truck bed? My truck is a driver but very nice. After awhile painted boards become scratched and chipped so that's why the questions about the liner finish... is Rhino a better finish then Line-X???? T/C Steve yes they will fade and become chalky looking if left in the sun. look at a 2 or 3 year old sprayed in liner. the texture also depends a lot on the guy spraying it | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | THANKS....TC and YES, those are some of the pages that are missing along with a few others! T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | UPDATE....the running boards are going to Rhino this coming Saturday: Rhino now makes a more flexible coating called Tuff Grip that is perfect for running boards. Also Rhino has a high rating of UV protectors in its material so fading is not a real problem...BUT..if they do they become a little off shade they now have a new product that's called Rhino Shine to give it that new finish look and it comes in a bottle and wipes on. I will post my thoughts after I get the boards back T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | HI....just got the boards back from One Stop Truck Shop in Sacramento, CA. Ron applied the new Rhino Tuff Grip coating on my new boards and they look GREAT! This product is very flexible and can be brought up to a like new shine with a bottle of Rhino Shine at anytime. The coating is very smooth almost like paint and it is guaranteed so much so that if you do mess up the finish they will spray on a repair for free that's a Rhino promise...I'm very glad I chose this finish and hope to post some pictures once they are installed. T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 |
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
| |