The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny, Ponchogl, Cletus1950, Barry Martak, Peggy M), 111 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 19
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 19
wondering if anyone can tell me how to install the new vent glass in a 51 gmc. I'm not sure if the whole divider piece has to come out or if the vent glass frame is just connected inside the housing.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
If you're just trying to get the glass out of the frame, you can soften the adhesive with gasoline and pull on the glass. This is what I've read but they had trhe assembly out of the door and on a bench.

Not quite agreeing with the gasoline part so perhaps someone has an alternative solvent.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Strictly speaking, the vent glass is held in place in the frame with glazing tape. I removed mine by spraying the edges with brake cleaner. The cleaner softened up the tape in minutes. Now the correct way to remove the whole unit is to remove the dividing bar. One truck I saw had the swivel rivet replaced with a small stainless bolt and two nuts. This was probably the result of a very clever shortcut to removing the vent assembly. If I have to remove mine again in the future, I will definitely go that route.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
The swivel rivets and the setting tool can be bought from any major vendor.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My point was that you can remove the window assembly without removing the divider bar, by removing the rivet. I don't know if I would try installing a rivet with the dividing bar still in the door, but that is just my take on the situation.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
That makes perfect sense... It would be difficult to set that rivet with the window in the door.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
I did my vent glass by removing the whole divider since I was replacing all the glass anyway. You can probably replace the vent glass only if your vent frame and rivet are in tact. I had to press the rivet with the tool in a vise to secure it correctly. I think that would have been impossible without removing the whole frame and divider.

I did use glass tape which makes the job messy and difficult. If you want to do it in place I would remove the glass with gas or brake clean as described then replace using windshield glue in stead of tape. This requires much less force. (when securing with glass tape I had to use a rubber mallet to get the glass in the frame)

There are a lot of messages on here describing this process and even a few good tutorials from guys who have done it if you do a search.

One key thing to remember regardless if you use tape or glue be sure to set the glass so it seals against the weather strip on the divide. Youe can set the glass too far into the frame...then it wont seal.

Rich


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
If i remember Houston 54 or Alan Horvath had tutorials on this topic.


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Here is the link to replace the vent windows. I'm just getting ready to do this myself! grin


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I can add a note here. I reset my vent glass using black RTV. I had to do it twice because the first time I inserted the glass, I pushed it too far in and it wouldn't catch the rubber when mounted. Glass tape will not allow this mistake.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I'm always nervous working with glass. I was at a wrecking yard last winter that had lots of 50's trucks with rotten doors and good glass. I had a good look at the door insides. I took out the vent windows with the whole divider bar in one piece. I'm happy to have a bit of extra glass, just in case.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0