Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,367 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 19 | wondering if anyone can tell me how to install the new vent glass in a 51 gmc. I'm not sure if the whole divider piece has to come out or if the vent glass frame is just connected inside the housing. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | If you're just trying to get the glass out of the frame, you can soften the adhesive with gasoline and pull on the glass. This is what I've read but they had trhe assembly out of the door and on a bench.
Not quite agreeing with the gasoline part so perhaps someone has an alternative solvent. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Strictly speaking, the vent glass is held in place in the frame with glazing tape. I removed mine by spraying the edges with brake cleaner. The cleaner softened up the tape in minutes. Now the correct way to remove the whole unit is to remove the dividing bar. One truck I saw had the swivel rivet replaced with a small stainless bolt and two nuts. This was probably the result of a very clever shortcut to removing the vent assembly. If I have to remove mine again in the future, I will definitely go that route. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | The swivel rivets and the setting tool can be bought from any major vendor. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | My point was that you can remove the window assembly without removing the divider bar, by removing the rivet. I don't know if I would try installing a rivet with the dividing bar still in the door, but that is just my take on the situation. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | That makes perfect sense... It would be difficult to set that rivet with the window in the door. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 | I did my vent glass by removing the whole divider since I was replacing all the glass anyway. You can probably replace the vent glass only if your vent frame and rivet are in tact. I had to press the rivet with the tool in a vise to secure it correctly. I think that would have been impossible without removing the whole frame and divider.
I did use glass tape which makes the job messy and difficult. If you want to do it in place I would remove the glass with gas or brake clean as described then replace using windshield glue in stead of tape. This requires much less force. (when securing with glass tape I had to use a rubber mallet to get the glass in the frame)
There are a lot of messages on here describing this process and even a few good tutorials from guys who have done it if you do a search.
One key thing to remember regardless if you use tape or glue be sure to set the glass so it seals against the weather strip on the divide. Youe can set the glass too far into the frame...then it wont seal.
Rich
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 | If i remember Houston 54 or Alan Horvath had tutorials on this topic. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | Here is the link to replace the vent windows. I'm just getting ready to do this myself!  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I can add a note here. I reset my vent glass using black RTV. I had to do it twice because the first time I inserted the glass, I pushed it too far in and it wouldn't catch the rubber when mounted. Glass tape will not allow this mistake. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I'm always nervous working with glass. I was at a wrecking yard last winter that had lots of 50's trucks with rotten doors and good glass. I had a good look at the door insides. I took out the vent windows with the whole divider bar in one piece. I'm happy to have a bit of extra glass, just in case. | | |
| |