Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | Greetings all...I have a bet with my uncle he says that the 235 full pressure was last built in 1962....I say it was later but a search has not given me a definitive answer as GMC used back stock engines for sometime as plants were closing down (so I have been told)....OK, any help with dates would be great and T/C Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | I hope you didn't bet too much - pay your uncle!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Steve,
Don't pay up yet. I think you are correct. But, it was GM Chevrolet division (not GMC) that continued production (or, maybe just sale) of the 235 (and maybe the 261) into 1963. I think it was used on the standard production NAPCO-style 1963 4-wheel drive trucks. I'll see if someone with documented information is willing to post information here.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | All the literature says 62 was the last year, but....some have written that they were also used in 63 4WD trucks. And some parts catalogs list them for 63. (?) One member here worked for GM and wrote that replacement engines (Service Six) were made at least until 1970. 235 myths and legends have been discussed at length on this board over the years I have been hanging around.
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | Was the bet for the last year "built", or last year "used"? I believe (could be wrong) the 235's used on the Napco 4X4's were carry-overs from '62. It would be interesting to look at the engine ID #'s on these to see what year they were manufactured. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I believe the 63 Napco used a 261.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | I found an article by Don Bunn on the chevytruck.org site that states "Major engineering changes for 1963 included replacing the light-duty model's torsion bar front suspension with coil springs and replacing the former standard six cylinder engine family with all new 230 cubic inch and 292 cubic inch sixes. The former 235.5 and 261 cubic inch sixes remained the standard engines for K10 and K20 pickups only. A restyled grille freshened up all pickup's front appearances." So there, the 235 and 261 were carried over to 63 in K10 and K20 trucks. If this article is accurate.
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,154 | SORRY...last year of manufacture for the 235 is the bet...sounds like I'm going to lose this one...1963 seems to be last year used but 1962 last of the engines actually produced.... I guess he will be eating steak and its hot dogs for me! T/C Steve | | |
| |