The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (tclederman, DadsFirstPickup, 59 fleet, IHPWR, Ponchogl), 102 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333747 11/06/2007 3:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
Happy Days!
Does any one have a good way to replace broken/rusted off inside door panel screws? I have 5 that are rusted solid in the door. Tried all of the bug juices I have to no avail. can the old ones be driven out and a new nut tacked in its place?
tks,
dg

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Have you tried heating them? I take a small butane torch with me to the salvage yards just for that purpose. Works great on small screws like the ones in the door panels.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
I see you state that not only are your screws rusted, some are broken off. I know they are small, but at this point I personally would get a small bit and try to drill them out. There have been time when doing this, the screws or bolts have actually come loose and began turning. Fortunately I was able to stop in time to be able to then back the screws out. I know it sounds like I have done this many times but I don't want to give that impression. Also, it hasn't worked every time. I was only trying to provide an option.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
As stated above nothing works every time, another option is to use left handed drill bits
Dan

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
and yes, after you wind up destroying some of the weld nuts, you can replace them - I've used JB Weld, works fine, just dab some on the nut, get it in place on the end of a finger, use vise grips to hold it till cured

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0