The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (UtahYork), 117 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,077
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#346814 12/10/2007 2:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
I understand that it is possible to put a 235 head on a 261 block to raise the compression ratio (7.8:1 on the 261), as long as one drills out steam holes in the 235 head to match those in the 261 block.

1. Has anyone successfully done this?
2. Does anyone know the combustion chamber cc's of a stock 235 head? 3. Did the cc volume in the 235 head vary at all according to the year?
4. How much raise in compression can one expect to achieve if:

I were to bolt a 235 head on, unmilled, on a stock bore 261?
To my knowledge, the 261 has the same 3 15/16 stroke as the 235, it is just bored out (and beefier in the low end).

I am trying to use one of the online calculators, trying to work backwords to try and see what the 235 cc volume might be given the 235's 3.5634 inch bore (3 9/16) and 3.9375 (3 15/16) inch stroke.

I am coming up with the 261 combustion chamber having to be about 95-97 cc's That can't be right, could it be that big?

I am also coming up with about 84cc's for the 261 head to achive the 8:1 compression ratio.

If that is correct, then putting an unmilled 235 head on a 261 should yield about an 8.75:1 ratio. Mill it and you have close to 9:1, which is just what I want. Bore it .030 over and you have a little more.

Am I way off here? Could someone please correct me if I am in error? Thanks a lot smile




Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Sorry, I messed up the subject title !

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I think it is a common practice but you need to drill the steam holes in the 235 head by using a 261 head gasket as a template. The 261 has large enough bores that some cylinders are siamesed. That is why the steam holes are needed.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 33
Ok, Thanks a lot for the info smile


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0