| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (GRNHydra),
81
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,568 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 | I appologize if this has been covered, but my searching past posts has come up with nothing. Did Chevrolet offer a 1/2 ton long bed truck in 1947-1953. I know GMC did somewhere in there. I looked at a truck over the weekend to possibly buy that is supposedly a 1950 1/2 ton in need of much work. It has a spare tire carrier on the bed side and the fender with the cutout for the spare tire, but it has 3 vertical stake pockets on each bed side. The two closest to the front of the bed are fairly close together. It didn't look like a long bed, and the publications I have list only one wheelbase for 1/2 ton's. The long beds 3/4 ton's I've seen with 3 stake pickets, don't need the cutout fender for the tire to clear. As luck would have it I didn't have anything to measure the bed with to be certain, but it looked like a shortbed. I guess the question here is did chevrolet ever have a shortbed bedside design with 3 stake pockets, and did Chevrolet make a 1/2 ton long bed. sorry this got lengthy, but I looked at this truck unexpectantly, and had nothing to take pictures with or reference to. What was I looking at, or am I just crazy?
Last edited by H.I.; 12/05/2007 9:08 PM.
1949 Studebaker 2R16A 1961 Chevrolet Impala 1968 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster 1971 C10 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | If it has 8 lug nuts it is NOT a 1/2 ton. Maybe somebody changed a fender at some time. Here's some chassis info: http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyresto/5055.htm
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | H.I. To answer your question, officially no Chevy did not have a longbed 1/2-ton in 47 thru 55-1st (Advance Design) and yes GMC did. The 1/2-ton 3100 series pickup had a 6 1/2' bed and 116" wheelbase. The 3/4-ton Chevy and longbed 1/2-ton GMC had a bed 7'-3" long with 3 stack pockets, the first 2 ahead of the fender until 54 when it grew a few inches but still was not a full 8' long until the "new" 55-2nd series. Starting then with the Task Force trucks Chevy had a 1/2-ton longbed. Of course anything is possible and as some have said "a lot can happen in 50+ years". Maybe it's a Chevy cab on a GMC frame, etc..... 
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | From 1947-55 Chevrolet had no 1/2 ton "long bed" truck model (GMC did, for some, if not all, years).
Curt's observation about 8 lug vs 6 lug is important.
Is the indentation in the fender needed to mount the tire, or, is there more than a inch or two of space between the spare tire and the indentation (an indication you have a long bed)?
Tim | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 37 | It's just a morph'd up truck. I was able to go look at it again after work. The owner maintains it's a chevy and I didn't argue with him, but apparently someone must have put a chevy cab and front clip on a GMC 1/2 ton frame. The axles are 5 lug, and it's definitly a long bed. Wierd, but like frank50 said, a lot can happen in 50 years. I appreciate all the help and response guys.
1949 Studebaker 2R16A 1961 Chevrolet Impala 1968 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster 1971 C10 | | |
| |
| |