The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (55shaker, Hotrod Lincoln), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,126
Posts1,056,354
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34253 02/02/2003 6:39 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2
Hey all. I've got a '69 1/2 ton with a 250 I-6 in it that I'm getting ready to restore. I've figured out just about everything I want to do to the truck, except for the engine. I've been kicking around several different ideas, and just can't decide if I want to keep the 6, overhaul and modify it, or scrap it and swap in a V-8. If I keep the 250, I plan to modify it into a 292 and put a different cam in it, along with a set of headers and a 4bl intake manifold. If I go the V-8 route, I'll most likely build a 383 for the truck. The thought of converting to diesel has also crossed my mind.

So, what I'm asking is what do you think would be the best route to take? Any input will be greatly appreciated.


My '66 C/10 and the open road. What more could I want?
#34254 02/02/2003 6:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 250 is a low deck engine and you cannot "convert" it to a 292 as you can't get enough stroke out of the block. A 292 is a different block altogether.

Sounds like you have a lot of options you are thinking about . . . time to really think long and hard about what you want when you are done. If the engine runs now - work on other stuff till you have it figured out. 69's came with a long list of engine options including a couple of different small blocks and at least a 396 big block along with the L6 options. I had a 69 w/T400 stock rated at 275HP and it scooted pretty good and got about 11mpg with my foot in it all the time. smile

#34255 02/02/2003 8:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
or hotrod the 6, plenty of bits avail, and have something different. (although not to bolters) Plenty of V8 trucks around...

#34256 02/02/2003 10:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
Your final decision should be based on what matters most to you - cheapest cost, maximum power or being different. With inline 6s, it's kind of a mixed bag. You can have any combination of the two, but never all three. wink

If you want more power than you'll ever need for rodding on the street or burning rubber, at a reasonable price, then go for the 350. Period.

Want decent power, streetability and something different, then go with the 292.

I went with the 292 because I wanted to be different yet wanted the maximum power available from an old GM inline 6 that's a bolt in fit in my '66 truck.

#34257 02/07/2003 5:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3
If it was up to me on the motor- I would go with a 350 or 383 for the small blocks- very easy to get parts and you can build them absolutely any way you want it. By the way- if you need a 350 4bolt main engine, let me know- your not too far from me, I have one for sale for rebuild. grin


1972 Chevy K-10 Custom 4x4, 3" Lift, 35" Tires

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0