| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,144 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 126 | Ive determined that the T-5 and NV4500 are most favored Transmissions to use in a swap.
How will these transmissions work with a 235 inline 6 as far as compatibility?
How is the Performance and Efficiency comparatively?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 32 | do a search, T5's are plentiful and if u get the right one practically "bolts up" couple easy modifications.
you know your a gearhead when you pick up food to eat at the shop after wrenching all day, and you reasoning for not washing your hands is a little grease makes all food taste better
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | The NV4500 is more expensive to start with, and slightly harder and or more expensive to install behind a 235.
For a work truck, or anything over a 3/4 ton my choice would be the NV4500
What are your plans for your truck, what is it, and how will you use it?
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | I've done the NV4500 swap in a 59 GMC 1/2 ton, and I have everything ready to do a swap in my 1940 GMC 3/4 ton.
As mentioned above the NV4500 is a bit more expensive to install, but it does offer several advantages. You lose a little bit of gearing in 1st gear compared to the sm420. First gear in the sm420 is 7.05:1, while the NV4500 is 5.61:1 which is still a bit lower than any t-5. The NV4500 is rated to take more torque. The NV4500 is a truck transmission.
T-5s are cheaper, more plentiful, and bolt up eazier than a NV4500. On a 235 I would probably go with a T-5. I chose the Nv4500 in both of my projects because I was looking for more transmission than I needed. In the 1940 I will have a heated up 302 GMC 6. That one should put out some good hp and torque numbers. On the 59 I put the NV4500 behind the original V8. I just thought the T-5 would have been too light behind the V8 | | |
| |
| |