The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Hanlon, UtahYork, LAROKE, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,377
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#336501 11/12/2007 11:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
All & Any,

Does the late model blazer gas tanks fit between the frame rails of a 60-62 like they do for 63-66? If not, is there an aftermarket tank that will work or another late model vehicle that would work?

Thanks all....


1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I don't know which Blazer tank you're talking about. The one I have came from Coleman's Military Surplus. They were an 80s Diesel tank. However they have no more of these, probably because they sold for 25.00. That tank will fit the 3100 AD (not the 3600). I don't know if it will fit your application.


~Jim
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
This is one of those things I always try to warn 60-62 owners about. I've taken measurements under my frame and haven't found any commercially available that fit where and how I want. That's not to say there isn't anything out there, I just haven't found it yet. There are custom fab shops that can build to your specs - How much $ you got?


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
bigmacdaddy is right, however after you've bought a few tanks that don't fit, like me, then that custom $ tank is not so expensive. I have found you must be very careful when measuring. On mine the frame rails were wide enough but I didn't notice the spring shackle nuts were protruding just enough that my Blazer won't work.

Last edited by cletis; 11/13/2007 7:52 PM. Reason: For sale offer removed.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Big Chevy I'm suprised your tank wouldn't work. I put one in mine without any problems.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
You probably did not replace your springs. I replaced mine with a TCI kit which puts the spring shackles directly under the frame rail.


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Hmmmm....I've got a '62 Suburban, with a between-rails tank that works with the spare tire carrier. (factory application).
I'd like to put a new tank in there, but haven't found that anyone makes them yet.
However, the '57 Chevy station wagon tank I have looks like it'll be a close match, except the cut-out for the tire is on the top, rather than bottom half of the tank (as the spare tire well in the wagon was in the floor, not under the floor).
It wouldn't be a direct bolt-in, but it's a starting point.
A '55-'57 Chevy car tank might also work...they're fairly compact. and the filler tubes are also available.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
hi, theres a two opptions 69-72 blazer tank that bolts right to the frame if you have coil springs and theres a alum. tank that made just for you truck tuckersparts.com sells them.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Big Chevy, did you replace them to run bigger tires?


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Yes, I replaced them so if I decide to swap to a wider tire I would have the option. That was my secondary reason; my first reason was to soften the ride.



~Jim
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably opt for the aftermarket aluminum tank option if I still have funds available ohwell


1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 71
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 71
i was looking to do an under bed replacement on a 65 chevy short step half ton. any advise?? out of all the aftermarket catalogs on the market is there a company that sells direct replacements or is extreme improvisation always necessary?

thanks

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
p5861,

LMC has both options. A replacement of the original behind the seat and a "between the frame rails" option for 63-66 LMC Link . This should suit your needs fine for a 65. This is why I was originally asking what I could do for my 61. Hope this helps.

Last edited by northdm; 11/20/2007 10:02 PM.

1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 71
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 71
another thought comes to mind in trying to think things through
before purchasing anything. if an under bed tank is used would this prevent dual exhaust from exiting at the rear?

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 102
I was looking at the exhaust layout of my 61 and I don't think that exhaust at rear will work. It appears that I will have to pull the exhaust out in front of the rear tires for the relocated gas tank to work..

Bummer....

Northdm


1961 Chevy C10 Stepside

In the Gallery
On my web site

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0