| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
191
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 33 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 33 | Thinking of a small block in the 53 Panel with 700R and 342's. Considering adequate power with a 4000lb. vehicle, which small block would be adequate? Does high performance parts increasing power reduce mileage? Do they get best mileage when left stock? (283/305/350) What about going Gen III with EFI? Cheers | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | A 305 or 350 would have plenty of power to propell it. As far as performance parts and feul mileage, it depends on what the part is and how it's designed to work. Some things, like cams, can be designed to do both increase power and help mileage. The newer oiled type air filters is another one that helps, along with the better flowing exhaust systems. There are EFI systems on the aftermarket that can off decent mileage, too. If you want to gen 111, either make sure to get the computer and harness from the doner, or use one of the aftermarket control systems. I beleive that they would offer as good or better mileage than an older carbureted system.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Best fuel mileage I've ever gotten with a small block has been with a 350. It has tuned port injection and does 25 mpg plus while also being the fastest car I have ever owned.
A good EFI will give both power and economy. Think in terms of torque rather than horsepower and you should enjoy great drivability and mileage both.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 97 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 97 | Personally I think aero is the biggest limiting factor. You can make carbed motors get great mileage, just look up Mobilgas Economy run. Given these cars and drivers were a little on the extream side, but it shows carbed motors can get good mileage.
I am saying this and I own a gen 3 swapped 63 pick up. Now mine is not meant for mileage as it gets about 10-11mpg on the freeway right now. I think I still have 2mpg to pick up once I lean it out for freeway cruise, but this is a 410 rwhp combo through a 4L80E tranny which is known to suck the power (460rwhp 6 speed combo). I have a 3,200 stall in it (locks on the freeway) 12bolt with 3.73's and a 26" tire.
If this wasn't a drag truck I would have a late model 6 speed in it and I'm sure the MPG would pick up even more (6th is a .5 vs my current .75 overdrive)
The heads cam combo was once in my buddies 2000 F-bod. His 4L60E 3.23 geared car would knock down 23mpg on the freeway.
Last edited by Super73; 11/05/2007 4:35 AM.
1963 Chevy P/U: Forged LS1/4L80E swap and big hit of N20 coming 1973 Camaro: Low compression solid roller LS1 with PT91 turbo Built for the Silver State classic 1967 Convert Continental: Stock Cruiser
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | While it is true that they got exellent mileage back then with carbureted engines, IMOP, todays gas just isn't as good as the stuff they had back then. Just look at todays mileages, there really isn't that much improvement.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | The 350s are plentiful and a good engine just running stock.Way too much emphisis put on engine horsepower.The 700 R4 is a great choice,and with the 3:42 gears you should get great gas mileage.if you need more performance,0 to 60 put in a set of 4:11 gears.the 700 R4 will handle it as it is an overdrive tranny.I am running that combo with 3:90 gears ,which equals good performance plus good MPG. | | |
| |
| |