Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,714 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#33180 05/13/2003 4:06 AM | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 224 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2003 Posts: 224 | so uh, i talked to a guy at the local salvage yard and asked if he had some newer 51+ brakes. said he did but asked why i would want to change out the huck ones. he had me on that one, i have know idea why, only that it was mentioned to do hee on the forum. any reasons to why i should shell out $400 for the 51+ brake change. is it worth it? that much of a difference? | | |
#33181 05/13/2003 4:39 AM | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,182 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,182 | If you're going to change the brakes, go with disc brakes on the front.
Why get rid of the Hucks? Because they're an inferior design that fades fast under hard braking. Bendix brakes are a much better design, although disc brakes are far superior to any drum brake. | | |
#33182 05/13/2003 5:51 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 | Murdoc, I think a lot of people switched the Huck brakes for 52-54 passenger car Bendix brakes/hubs to get the 5-bolt hubs that would match the open driveshaft rear end they just put in. Probably not worth changing to the truck Bendix brakes just for the sake of it. I put the passenger car Bendix brakes on my '49 many moons ago for the reason above but dumped them in a hurry for disk brakes after a little episode with a bed full of firewood, a steep hill, a stop sign and a busy cross street at the bottom. 
'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton '49 Chevy 1/2 ton '54 Chevy 6400 2 ton '55.2 GMC 3/4 ton '56 GMC 1-ton
No Room Left in Shop
| | |
#33183 05/13/2003 7:58 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I don't see how they would fade any faster than Bendix brakes of the same size and lining material. They do, however, take more pedal effort and they are more expensive to rebuild. They are also more sensitive to misadjustment. The wheel cylinders are hard to get and drums are no longer available new. Bendix drums are. I use my Hucks, and they work fine, but I am going to go with discs when I change over, using Mr. Proffit's tech tip of using Nissan 6-lug brakes.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#33184 05/13/2003 12:21 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | I am not sure why the Huck design is inferior. They are set up very similar to a modern air brake with the bottom of each shoe anchored on a pivot pin.
They are sensitive to mis-adjustment because a lot of people do not understand how to adjust them. Each side of the wheel cylinder has to be turned clockwise as you look at the front of the shoe. That means that to adjust one brake, each side of the wheel cylinder is turned opposite each other to bring each shoe toward the drum. You do have to be careful but it is not rocket science..
Kanter Auto Parts has the wheel cylinders, I bought some recently..
Yes, the parts are more expensive. But, how often are you going to rebuild your brakes in order to recoup the 400 dollar Bendix swap cost ? The way I drive my truck I am sure my brakes will last ten years..
If you want to change them, change them. Just be sure you are an informed consumer before you make the change...
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | |
#33185 05/13/2003 3:49 PM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 54 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 54 | IN MY '5-0 I CHANGED TO BENDEX STYLE BRAKES ONLY BECAUSE THE FRONT BRAKES WERE ALREADY CHANGED WHEN I RECIEVED THE TRUCK. AND THE TORQUE TUBE REAR END I INTALLED WAS FROM A '54.
Yes, officer it's licensed.
| | |
#33186 05/14/2003 12:34 AM | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,379 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,379 | Before you spend that much on those brakes talk to people at carshows and cruiseins and find someone who is going to make a hotrod out of one. I got a front and rear axle from someone who put in latemodel drive train in his 51,I took the brakes off of them for my 37 but probably will not use them as I am going to a independent front and S10 rear. If you are interested in them let me know. Jeff | | |
| |