| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,311 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | I have a nasty looking 64-66 radio that plays well & a new looking one that just squeals. Can I swap the dials easily// I would hate to mess up a good radio but its too ugly to install. brian | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Brian - can't mess up anything if you take apart the non-functional one and see how hard it is to take the front off - removing the large nuts holding the 2 shafts out the front might let enough come off that you won't need to go further - if the black plate background of the dial numbers is bad on the singer you prolly could repaint it flat black - once you retrieve the good parts you'll know how to get the good one apart to swap'em as the joker would say - just do it! Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | bill-I figger I'll give it a shot, the chrome faceplate is all puckered on the working unit. I have had radio tops off many times to inspect/remove critters. I don't think I will have to even mess w/the shafts. the only fly in the ointment might be the little string that runs the pointer. brian | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | just examine the bad one as you pull it apart and you may not need to mess w/ the string - the control shafts are usually what holds the face assembly to the unit, and taking those big nuts off lets the whole face assembly slip off, string stays with the shaft that runs it
if your good radios' pointer doesn't move than you'll need the bits for that, but maybe all you need is to dab some fresh paint on the pointer, and the string is replaceable - start w/ both controls turned all the way to one end and you should be able to take it off one and switch it to the other
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | everything moves well, its just the radio looks like its been outside-& the one that looks new doesn't do anything but squeal(just my luck). it gets louder as you increase volume, I tried another speaker & same deal. brian | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 | Brian, If this all leads to the discovery of a source for a replacement "little string" that moves the pointer please post it or email it to me. I've discovered that the reason my pointer doesn't move is that the "little string" is broken. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | Success! I was able to R&R the faceplate & it still works & the station indicator is still accurate. I didn't have to remove the shafts, just the big nuts holding them, then I was real careful as they kinda just move around after the faceplate is off. I put the string right back where it was & all is good, there jus aren't many AM stations left anymore. love that old tone! texmo, I think small fishing line would work or poss upholstery thread. brian | | |
| |
| |