The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dragracefan, Oswald, dt235sd, Ponchogl), 134 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Finally finished our 53 bed this week. My nephew came out and sprayed the Vortex bed liner on Sunday. We sprayed 3 sides and the bed strips. Forgot just how long it takes to put all those nuts and bolts back in. The Cherry and Purpleheart came out OK. Put some photos on photbucket if you would like to see the finished product.


http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/sworden73/

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
Wow, that is beautiful! cool My brother had commented to me a few years ago when I was building my '82 Chevy stepside that I should use purple heart. Couldn't quite picture at the time what it would have looked like, so I chickened out & went the easy route with oak. ohwell
Gonna have to keep that in mind when I get to the point of doing that. Great job!


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Beautiful wooden bed; diamond plate w/ diamonds couldn't look any better.
tomo

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Thanks, Hawk and Tomo. It was nice to get it done. Now to fire up the crate engine for the first time.

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Hey Coach, that is a thing of beauty. I know from experence that there is a lot of work there. I like the way the purpleheart goes with the color of your truck.

Keep up the good work
George

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
Coach,
As a carpenter by trade I love the way it looks!! Great job

Dan

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 99
That bed looks amazing. I really hope that you used a UV block type coating. That purpleheart will darken to almost black and the cherry to a nice chocolate brown in the sunlight. I know this from having built a harp and from both woods and other furniture at other times that got to sit in a window. The part that was in the sunlight is definately darker than the other. Just thought I would give a word of warning to keep it covered if you can.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I used two coats of Watco teak oil, which has uv blockers, plus 7 coats of Helmsman spar urethane that also has uv blockers. I know the Cherry will still darken as I have built many cabinets out of cherry wood. First try at purpleheart, the lumberyard man said that the teak oil worked for his customers that used purpleheart in their boats. Only time will tell. I do know that if it gets too dark that I can run it thru the planner again to take off the darkness from the purplehart and restore the purple color. Would definitely be a project to put 7 coats of urethane back on it again though. I guess I will just have to see what happens. Total cost of the bed was $178


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0