The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bill Hanlon), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,640
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
Hello everybody
I have seen tons of advertising on this swap. I am a yunkyard dog so I want to do it myself. Which vehicle disk brakes fits the best and easier to this Chevy. Do any later Chevy PU (Let´s say 67,77) disk brakes apply?. If so, what changes should I make?.Is it any difference regarding a GMC?. Your input will be appreciated


Chevy'51
GMC '54
GMC '56
GMC '59
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
A late welcome to the Stovebolt (I see you are up to 6 posts now cool
Have you checked out the tech tips section here on the stovebolt?


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
Hi Mechainiac, thanks for your note. You are right. I have been aroun on few notes. This site is got so much information that I never finish reading. While awaiting for some help I found a topic on page two. I read a tech note. I will study it tonight. Not having finished the reading seems like it uses part of the current body that holds the drum and the after receives a disk. I do not kno if this disk is from a special kit or comes from stock product. If you know something about it, will be very much appreciated.


Chevy'51
GMC '54
GMC '56
GMC '59
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
Luke
I read the tech add. The kit comes with a disk, I believe is expressedly made for the purpose, it looks a very easy task. I like the way the attachment is made as it keeps the six lug pattern. I am wondering if chevy later models (with disk brakes) may be a direct upgrade to this '51 with some changes as bearings diameters. I have been working on a disk from an old Cadillac('80). I have made a bushing for the outer bearing. The inner needs to be replaced for a new one with bigger inner diameter. If this is possible, then, chances are I may do the same with a PU six lugs application as mentioned above. Next question is Which PU models are still six lugs and have disk brakes?. Do shafts on Chevy '51 have the same dimensions as '54 GMC and 59 GMC?.


Chevy'51
GMC '54
GMC '56
GMC '59
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 26
Luke
My previous add was regarding a tech note I gathered from other stovebolter conversation, not yours. I just read yours. It looks good to me. Is this Hard Body nissan they refer to a PU?. I understand I need to remove the spindle as to enlarge the thread. Do I need special tools to remove the spindle?. Is there any tech note referred to it somewhere?.


Chevy'51
GMC '54
GMC '56
GMC '59

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0