The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (78buckshot), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32030 03/22/2002 7:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
What's a safe rpm range for a stock (meaning stock cam/rods/crank plus headers and 4 bbl. intake)? I'm looking for a range that you could safely drive for 2+ hours with no worries (i.e. cruising rpms). wink

Thanks!
-ftyler

#32031 03/22/2002 10:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
GM lists the governed speed in the 3700-3900 rpm range.Bet there are plently of 292 powered C-50 farm trucks run wide open down the road for a few hours at a time.Probably something in the 2500 rpm range is easier on the engine.

#32032 03/23/2002 5:40 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 17
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 17
If the 292 has a fiber timing gear (stock in lots of 292's to keep them running quieter) I definitely wouldn't want to run it over 2500 RPM for an extended run; I don't think I would run it much above 3000 RPM for a short run if the gear is old because it is so easy to shell it out. I would much rather hear the gear noise of a steel gear than that sickening sound of silence when a fiber gear looses it's teath and the engine quits when the valves and oil pump quit working.

PS. Massey Fergeson used the 292 engine in their 410 combine which ran the engine at a constant 2500 RPM.


Kenneth L. Hollingsworth
#32033 03/23/2002 5:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 81
I don't my rpm but I drove a, 292 179 miles home the day I bought it. At around 60 mph for at least 3 hours! She was singin pretty good but there doesn't seem to be any new noises coming from the motor. Of course this motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago, so I don't how stock she is as far as the timing gear goes. smile


If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.


1941 Pontiac business coupe
1947 Chev Coupe
1969 GTO ragtop

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0