The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 46 Texaco, 2 invisible), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Help...

Pulled the front end of the '55.1 down to re-do brakes, and found sloppy kingpins (like, duh, what did I expect)...

Also found that the pins themselves wobble in the axle too...

Sooo, I'm looking for a source for Kingpin & bushing set to fit '55.1 4400 series(L-55), which has 15/16" diam. x 5 5/8" pins and flat "sandwich" thrust washers (no balls wink ).
I'm guessing that I'll need oversize pins to deal with the hogged-out axle.

Can anyone point me in a good direction?
(Please, not to the Chevy dealer for a new truck!)


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
You might look in the links page here on Stovebolt.Obsolete Chevy has a lot of larger truck parts.Their catalog lists std size, but they often have parts not listed in their catalog.Egge auto parts sometimes has king pin sets.Some other guys here probably have additional sources.
Having the axle king pin eyes resized with a sleeve is an option.Use caution, I actually saw the damage caused by a resleeved axle eye that split causing the wheel and spindle to fly off on the road.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
I have two kits that may be what you want. If you can get part number needed, I will look at mine to see if right ones. They do have that size pins and washer type bearings. I needed the shorter pins and ball bearings, was gonna cut these and mess around, finally just ordered right kit from Chevy Duty. Can see on-line. They may have # listed in the catalog there. I'm still waiting for the kit from them, before I'm sure I can let these go. They are NOT oversize ones if that's what you need, and seems like it may be what you want with loose pins in axle ends!


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0